15

"Given our recent influx of monsters, the Sheriff and I have decided we need to take drastic action. Please give him your full attention." Dr. Saltzman told all of his students, who sat in the auditorium room.

Valerie sat beside Hope, her eyes wandering around to see if Rafael was around, which he wasn't.

"Like Dr. Saltzman was saying, local girls, Dana Lilien and Sasha Stoteraux didn't come home last night," Sheriff Donovan began to explain to the students that attended the Salvatore school, "Dana sometimes skips town for a few days to party, but this is a first for Sasha."

"Thank you, Sheriff Donovan," Alaric spoke up, "Now while the knife is away with Dorian and things are quiet on his end, it won't hurt to assume the worst. Now, I'll need a few of you to volunteer to go to Mystic Falls High under the guise of an exchange program meant to improve relations between our schools, which, unfortunately, is necessary, given recent event. Now, I give you permission to compel them, to gather materials for locator spells, because any information we can get will make all the difference."

Suddenly, Lizzie stood up, causing Valerie to roll her eyes as the blonde witch walked over to the podium until she was standing in front of it, facing all of her classmates, "Well, I guess that I can set aside my differences with Dana for a day, because that is what heroes do." She told them all before turning to her father, "So...I volunteer as tribute."

"Talking about being extra," Valerie told Hope in a hushed tone.

"She battles one gargoyle, and suddenly, she's Mother Teresa," Hope added in.

Valerie smiled as she shook her head, knowing damn well that Hope was right.

"I'm in," Kaleb suddenly stood up, volunteering.

Almost immediately after, MG, who was sitting next to Kaleb stood up, "I'm in, too."

Hope glanced at Valerie before standing up, "I'd like to help," She volunteered, causing Valerie to give her a shocked expression.

Alaric turned to look at Valerie, figuring she would volunteer since Hope did, but she didn't. Hope turned to Valerie, a confused look on her face, "You're not coming?" She whispered to her confused and Valerie shook her head in response.

"I'm going to stay this time," Valerie replied, causing Hope to sigh out.

_____

"Who the hell are you and what have you done with Valerie?" Ophelia asked Valerie jokingly as she tried to place a hit to Valerie, but the younger hybrid dodged it, "Not offering to be one of the students that get to leave campus? What has gotten into you? Even Hope volunteered."

Valerie sighed, trying to punch Ophelia, but she ended up dodging it, just as she previously did.

The two girls stood in the large empty room that both Ophelia and Alaric would always take the girls to practice fighting, "That's kind of the point," Valerie replied, "You all expect me to follow Hope around and do whatever she says. I'm more than that. And also, I don't want to leave school grounds without having magic to protect me."

Ophelia swung a punch to Valerie's chest, but didn't hit her, "Block with your hand." She reminded her.

Valerie slapped Ophelia's hand away, "I got it," She snapped at her mother.

The two females walked in a circle and switched their positions, "If you had it, Val, I wouldn't have to say it." Ophelia retorted.

Ophelia swung a punch again but Valerie ended up dodging it, then pushed Ophelia. She tried to punch her, but Ophelia was easily able to dodge it once again. Valerie to do a backhand punch but Ophelia caught her daughter's hand, pinning it behind Valerie's back. Valerie used her hand to flip Ophelia over and onto her back.

The younger female did a backflip before landing right above Ophelia, "Me beating your ass is getting a little old, don't you think, Mom?" Valerie smiled.

Ophelia chuckled as Valerie held out a hand for her to take, "I'm good," She told Valerie, smiling.

  Valerie smiled as she began to walk away, feeling proud of herself for beating Ophelia in hand to hand. Before she could get far, Ophelia used her leg to trip Valerie. Valerie groaned as she fell to the ground.

Ophelia laughed in amusement, "Always be on guard, Val. Especially when you're fighting someone who is three hundred and fifteen years old." She told her daughter, grabbing her by the hand as she helped her up.

"You know, you should embrace your wolf side, too. It gives you a lot of strength. Without it, we wouldn't be able to have these sessions," Ophelia commented before grabbing Valerie's hand, revealing the moonlight ring on her finger, "And this makes you a stronger wolf than any of these average ones in this school. You can turn at will, grow fangs at any time, and even more heightened strength than any of these regular triggered wolves. Embrace it, Val."

Valerie was on the verge of arguing with her mother, but decided against it. Her mother was right. Without her wolf side, she wouldn't be the same person. And she was also right when she said that her wolf side was what made them be able to have these training sessions and that was basically the only time they had alone time.

A smile formed on Valerie's lips as she decided to make small talk, "Hope and I were wondering about something..." She trailed off and Ophelia raised a brow at her.

"About what exactly?" She questioned curiously.

"What's up with you and Jeremy Gilbert?" Valerie asked.

Ophelia sighed, trying her hardest to stop the smile from forming on her lips, "I don't think that's any of your business, Val." She replied and Valerie couldn't help but laugh.

"Come on, it's been nearly three years since Klaus died. It's okay to feel for someone else. Klaus even told you to find someone," She paused, a smile forming on her lips, "As long as it wasn't Marcel. I remember!"

Ophelia laughed at Valerie, "What Jeremy and I have is strictly casual. Not really a full-blown relationship, but not just random hookups either." She explained and Valerie hummed in response, "Now, enough small talk. Let's continue practicing."