37

Feeling as though if she didn't get herself moving, she wouldn't be able to stay away, Valerie got into some clothes suitable for working out in before heading to the gym, where she found Rafael using the punching bag.

"Hey," Valerie greeted Rafael with a smile on her face as she placed on her workout gloves, "What did the bag ever do to you?" She asked, beginning to laugh as Rafael finally stopped punching it.

"I'm done here, so let me get out your way," He told her, about to walk away.

Valerie frowned, feeling as though something was up with him. As he went to walk past her, Valerie grabbed his arm, causing Rafael to turn to her, "Actually, I could use a sparring partner right about now," She informed him with a smile on her face, "If I punch a bag instead of a person, I'm pretty sure I'm going to fall asleep. So, what do you say?"

Rafael was clearly hesitant after what had happened the last time they sparred, "Trust me," Valerie assured him, "I'm better with my fists than I am with a staff."

"Yeah. Alright," Rafael replied, finally agreeing to spar with her.

"I'm not throwing the first punch, though," Valerie commented and Rafael couldn't help but smile at her before he swung a punch to her face.

Without effort, Valerie ducked, able to dodge the punch. She stood up back up and as he tried to punch her, Valerie used her forearm to block the hit.

As Rafael allowed his arms to drop to his sides, Valerie smiled at him, "Stop being so gentle," She complained, "I'm not as fragile as you think."

"What do you mean?" Rafael asked her in disbelief, "I'm punching you with half my weight."

"Well, try to give me all of it," She suggested with a playful smirk on her face.

Valerie punched with both hands, one after another and Rafael was able to quickly dodge it.

Rafael swung a punch to her chest, but Valerie quickly caught his fist before pushing it. Valerie lifted her leg up, giving him a high kick that he was able to avoid getting hit with.

Valerie continued to try and kick him and Rafael did a backflip, landing on his feet. He lifted his feet and tried to kick at her sides, but Valerie was able to push his legs away before they hit her.

As Valerie swung her foot to kick him, Rafael caught her leg. He tried to flip her, only to have Valerie flip over and kick Rafael in the nose as she did so.

"Come on, Raf!" Valerie laughed, "I'm on the verge of taking your alpha status and honestly, I have no desire to be one."

They continued to fight and suddenly, Rafael swung a kick to her leg, causing her to fall. As she yelled out in pain, Rafael grew concerned and walked toward her, "Val. Are you okay?" he asked her concerned, only to have Valerie suddenly to stand up, grab him by the arm and twist it before knocking him to the ground.

Holding him by the neck, Valerie straddled Rafael as he laid on the ground, struggling to get free from her choke hold.

Rafael smiled, tapping Valerie's arm, indicating that he was giving up.

"I guess that shows you who the real alpha is here, huh, handsome?" Valerie asked him, a playful look on her face before she finally got off of Rafael, lying beside him on the gym floor.

"Damn, Val," He commented, causing them both to laugh.

"You know, I really feel bad about all of the shitty things that occurred in your childhood that make you so great at kicking ass," Valerie remarked, causing Rafael to smile as he turned to look at her, "But let me just say, I really needed that just now."