31

Ophelia walked into Alaric's office in search of Alaric to find Cassie, Rafael's girlfriend, in the middle of dialing someone's number on the phone, "I don't think that's a good idea, sweetheart." She spoke up, causing Cassie to immediately turn to her.

"I need to call my mom," Cassie informed her, gripping the phone tightly in her hand.

Ophelia could immediately sense Rafael entering the office without even having to turn, "I thought Alaric and I told you not to leave her alone." She told Rafael, who walked in with a cup of tea in his hand.

"I got her some tea," Rafael replied, walking over to Cassie. He sighed when he saw the phone in her hand, "Oh." He said, quickly taking the phone from her hands before giving her the tea.

"Cassie, this...Situation, I have an inkling that it isn't going to be permanent and I don't think it's fair to your mother to hear your voice right now." Ophelia explained to Cassie, who didn't seem happy about it.

"So you think I'm going to die again?" She asked Ophelia concerned.

"There's a definite chance, yes," She replied without a care in the world, causing Rafael to sigh in defeat, "What? I'm being honest with her. I'm sorry, okay? Cassie, I understand that that is an emotional experience for everyone involved, but I promise you that Alaric and I will be for both you and Rafael every step of the way. Is there anything I can get you at the moment while Alaric has stepped out?"

"I'm hungry. I need a shower," Cassie told Ophelia, who nodded her head in understanding.

"That's not a problem at all," She replied calmly.

Cassie turned to Rafael, "And then, I'd like to get to the bottom of how you murdered me," She said, causing both Rafael and Ophelia's eyes to widen in alarm.

____

Down in the basement, Hope and Valerie were still conversing with The Necromancer, "Do you remember how you died?" Hope questioned him.

"I was wandering the beach of Normandy in seen of a pick-me-up so I thought I'd resurrect a few G.I.s to toy with some Nazis," The Necromancer began to explain to the two girls.

"It's good to hear even creatures as evil as you hate Nazis," Valerie commented, crossing her arms over her chest as she spoke to him.

"Nobody likes Nazis," He replied, causing Valerie to nod her head in agreement before he continued his story, "One minute, I'm dancing with the dead on the sand, and the next, there was just blackness."

"But you don't remember who killed you?" Hope asked him, a confused look on her face.

"No, well that's not uncommon," He informed them as he began to walk around his cell, "The subconscious has a way protecting the mind against the trauma of death. I see it all the time in my line of work."

"But theoretically, that memory still exists," Hope responded, "Right? What if there was a way to access it?"

"You want to take a walk through my subconscious?" The Necromancer asked as the same time that Valerie had said, "Hope, no!"

"It's fine, Val," Hope assured her best friend before the Necromancer spoke up.

"Oh, oh, oh," He began to laugh in amusement, "Well, at your own peril, my dear. 'Cause I'm not sure you're quite tall enough to ride the scary rides, huh? I assume you've got a powerful vampire handy? Well, one that excludes your friend's mother."

"Absolutely," Hope replied before Valerie could argue with her.

____