27

In the Salvatore School's gym, Valerie stood with Hope and Rafael at the top of the steps, talking about what would happen during Lizzie's sweet sixteen, "So the emcee will then announce Lizzie and her escort." Hope informed him.

"Her what?" Rafael asked the two girls confused.

"It's kind of like at a debutante ball," Valerie added in, only to notice the puzzled look on Rafael's face, "You don't know what that is, do you?"

"I grew up in foster care, Val," He reminded her.

"Okay then, sorry..." Valerie awkwardly trailed off, shifting uncomfortable, "Well, foster care had stairs, didn't they?"

"So, you're going to meet her halfway down," Hope instructed as Valerie grabbed Rafael by the arm, leading him down the small set of stairs.

"How do you two know all of this stuff?" Rafael asked as he walked down the stairs, leaving Valerie and Hope at the top.

"One of our aunts has been around for more than a thousand years," Hope informed him with a smile on her face, "Also, Ophelia has a thing for these kinds of parties. After all, she lived in New Orleans for over three hundred years. This kind of thing is their jam."

Hope turned to Valerie, gesturing for her to walk down. Valerie sent her best friend a smile, just before wrapping her fingers around the railing, beginning to walk down. Mockingly, Valerie flipped her hair, acting as if she was Lizzie, which caused Hope to quietly laugh.

"So, what, I just stand here?" Rafael questioned the two girls as he leaned against the railing.

Valerie decided to ignore Rafael's question while Hope continued to give instructions, Valerie acting as though she was Lizzie in the scenario, "Then you take her arm," Hope told Rafael as Valerie held her arm out in a right angle.

Rafael awkwardly smiled as he looked away. Valerie playfully rolled her eyes as she grabbed his arm, "It's sort of like you're putting yours on top," She informed him as she and Rafael locked arms, causing Rafael to smile while Valerie kept a straight face, "Yeah, like that. And then you descend together."

 Valerie and Rafael continued to lock arms as they walked through the gym. They turned to glance at each other and Valerie finally cracked a smile, "And then you bow." Hope continued on.

 Both Rafael and Valerie stopped walking, turning to face each other. Valerie smiled slightly, bowing, "Yeah, you both are messing with me," Rafael commented, causing Hope and Valerie to share an amused look.

"You think this is bad?" Hope asked him with a smile on her face, "You know it's only going to get worse, right? Lizzie Saltzman has been planning her sweet sixteen since she was five. You probably should've thought twice before asking to be her date."

"And letting her lose her V-card to you," Valerie commented, masking it as a cough.

Rafael sighed, deciding to ignore Valerie's comment while Hope gave her a puzzled look, not quite hearing exactly what she said, "Well, I didn't ask her," He told Hope, referring to what she had mentioned about him asking to be Lizzie's date, "All I know is that I can't let her down now."

  "Why?" Hope asked him, not understanding what he was getting at.

"Because he slept with her, Hope," Valerie spoke up, causing Hope to turn to her with wide eyes. Hope's eyes softened a bit, realizing why Valerie seemed to be acting like she didn't really want to be there.

Meanwhile later, Valerie and Rafael was in the middle of doing the waltz while Hope instructed them on what to do, since Valerie was honestly not the best dancer at times, "I still can't believe you slept with her," Valerie sighed out, shaking her head in disapproval as they continued to dance.