Big Girls Dont Cry

*LACEY*

I lace my fingers with his as he drives down the highway and out of town. Benji, Spencer and Nova were all in the back seat of Bessie while Jonas drove.
I glance over at him, his eyes are dark and pained. His grip on the wheel is so tight it causes his knuckles to turn white, his jaw is clenched and his body is tense.

Nobody was talking, we were all to worried about Bill.

Nova, Benji and I all grew up together, Spencer and Jonas grew up together. The Manchester's were like my second parents. Spencer and I were always at their house hanging out with Benji, Nova and Jonas.
We were inseparable.

"Can we please turn some music on?" Benji asks breaking the tension.

Jonas doesn't react, his eyes stay glued to the road.

I look back at Benji and give him a sympathetic look, before hitting the knob that turns on the radio.

Jonas tenses even more and shuts it off.

I furrow my eyebrows at him as his eyes stay glued to the road.

"Dick" I hear Benji mumble under his breath

Jonas isn't fazed. I don't think he heard him.

"Jonas." I call out, no response.

"Jonas?"

Nothing.

"Jonas!" I shout

He flinches, but doesn't take his eyes off the road.

"What?" He asks with a harsh tone.

"Why don't we pull over and stretch our legs for a little bit and let Spencer drive the rest of the way." I say in a calm soothing voice.

"I'm in a little bit of a rush if you couldn't tell" he snaps

My jaw drops and my eyebrows furrow as I look at him. He never talked to me like that before. I take my hand away from his.

"That's it man pull over" Spencer says from the back seat.

"I'm fine" Jonas retorts

"Pull over now" Spencer says in a stern tone.

Jonas rolls his eyes and pulls over into the next rest stop. We all get out and I run into the bathroom. I go to the sink and wet a paper towel down before dabbing my face with it. I was trying to hold back the tears.

The door swings open and Nova walks in. Her face softens when she sees me.

"You okay Lacey?"

I nod my head.

"Of course why wouldn't I be?" I say forcing a smile

She raises an eyebrow at me.

"Because your boyfriend is being a jackass"

"He's not, he just stressed. His dad is dying Nova"

"I know and it sucks, Bill was family to me too and to you, but he doesn't need to act like that"

I catch her look in the mirror.

"Whatever, just promise me you'll come to me if you want some sense knocked into him"

I chuckle at her.

"You'll be the first to know"

She gives me a quick hug before we leave the bathroom and I'm cornered by Spencer.

He doesn't say anything just looks at me with concern.

"I'm fine" I tell him reassuringly

He raises an eyebrow at me.