Apple Tarts

"Hey lulu you hungry? There's a sweet diner near here that serves some bomb ass French fries."

I smile in his direction as he squeezes my hand.

"Sure"

He smiles at me and kisses my hand before taking the next exit off the highway. After a few more minutes of driving we pull into a parking lot of a old 50's style diner. Jonas parks the car and gets out before lacing his hands with mine and leading us into the diner.

"Hi how many this evenin'?" The host asks us, he's dressed as Elvis and I gotta say he's a pretty damn good cosplay. I thought I was actually looking at the king.

"Just two" Jonas says with a smile.

The Elvis impersonator picks up some menus and napkins and leads us over to a secluded booth in the corner of the diner. I slip in on one side and Jonas follows. The host places the menus and napkins down on the table before walking away.

Jonas grabs my hand and links our fingers together.

"How'd you find this place?" I ask

"Dad used to take us here all the time before he got sick, since then he hasn't really gotten out much"

"Oh Jonas, I'm sorry about your dad."

He shows me a weak smile before leaning in to kiss my forehead.

"Hello! Welcome to jimmys what can I get y'all!" A bouncy blonde server says rolling up to us on skates. She was dressed as Marilyn Monroe.

"Two root beers, two apple tarts and a large French fry please" Jonas tells her with a smile.

She writes down the order and skates away before quickly returning with our drinks.

I take a sip of the cool and crisp root beer before I start another conversation that I wasn't sure I wanted to have.

"I'm sorry about Vikki, and the baby." I tell him in a quiet voice.

He looks down at me in shock.

"I'm fine, I'm over it. Vikki wasn't good for me, I should've listened to Spencer when we first started dated but I was so messed up, I wasn't thinking."

I lay my head on his shoulder.

"Still, you don't deserve that, I'm sorry"

He kisses the top of my head before swinging an arm around my shoulders.

"No I did deserve it, what I don't deserve is a beautiful girl sharing French fries with me at midnight. I don't deserve you lulu."

I glance up at him and furrow my eyebrows.

"Jonas, don't say that"

"It's true, you've been nothing but a beautiful angel. And that's one of the reasons I love you"

I open my mouth to speak again when the waitress comes back with an apple tart in one hand and a huge plate of fries in another.

"Sorry folks this is the last apple tart"

We smile at her before she skates away to help another table.

"Okay so are you ready to try the best French fry in Colorado?"

I chuckle as he picks up a fry and holds it to my lips.
I bite into it and chew it while furrowing my brows.

"Well?" He asks when I swallow.

"You're right Jonas, these are the best fries I've ever had"

"HA! Take that McDonald's!"

I laugh as he throws his fist in the air.