Late Night Kisses

*LACEY*

I take another sip out of the beer that Drew brought, I was a severe lightweight, but I really needed it right now.

"Hang on I'll be right back" Benji says as his phone rings

I nod at him and take another swig of the disgusting brown liquid.

I turn my attention on to Benji who's standing a few feet away from me with his phone up to his ear. I can pick up certain things in his conversation, but don't really pay attention. I continue to watch him, he keeps looking at me and looking away, and looking at me again. Eventually he walks farther into the woods and away from me until I can't see him anymore.

I was alone. Nova and the rest of the gang were swimming in the lake, I wasn't in the mood for swimming and Benji didn't want me to be left alone, but now I was. I was alone. I keep my eyes on the trees waiting for Benji to come back, when he doesn't I pull out my phone.

4 missed calls
1 voicemail
2 new texts

I had my phone on silent so that explains why I didn't hear it.

I check to see who the calls are from and there are 3 from Jonas and 1 from my mom. That's when I remember I forgot to call my mom, I haven't talked to her in a few days. She was probably really worried about me. Next I go to the text.

Mommy- Hey honey, you never called us! But no worries I know you're probably really busy with school. Love you sweetie!

Mommy- oh by the way honey, your editor called me, she said that everything was good, you just needed a few more pictures in it. Call me sweetie!

Now onto the voicemail. I saw that it was from Jonas, my finger hovers over the play button.

Leaves crunch in the distance and I whip my head towards the sound, Benji appears walking back over to me. I put my phone back in my pocket and smile in his direction. He sits down next to me and lets out a breath.

"That was Jonas wasn't it?"

His body tenses and he sighs but doesn't answer me.

"Is he worried?"

"Very"

"What did you tell him?"

Benji looks at me and studies me with his hazel eyes.

"What did you want me to tell him?"

I shrug. I didn't know, I didn't know what to even say to him, where to start. But I knew I needed to talk to him. I needed to know why it was so hard for him to trust me.

"I just told him that you were fine and promised I would keep you safe"

I look at Benji and see the longing in his eyes, I knew he cared for me. But I didn't love him, not the way he loved me.

"Thanks Benji"

He shows me a small smile before poking at the fire with a stick.

I down the rest of my beer and toss the bottle aside, as I reach for another one Benji stops me.

"Lace, you've already had three."

I look at him.

"Just one more?"

I wasn't feeling anything, not yet anyway. I could have one more beer it wouldn't hurt.

"No Lace, you have school tomorrow. No more"

He was right, today was only a Tuesday, I still had a whole week to get through.

I slouch and lean on his shoulder.

"Fine"

Benji chuckles at me before picking up his car keys.

"Come on, let's get you home."

He stands up and holds out a hand for me. I take it and he hoists me up and leads me to his car.

I start wobbling on my feet every step we took.

Benji puts his arms around me to steady me.

"Woah, you okay Lace?"

"Yeah I'm fine, my leg just fell asleep"

"Yeah okay"

His hand finds the small of my back as he helps me walk to his car. When we finally manage to get there he opens the door for me and helps me in, buckling my seatbelt and then shutting the door. He walks around to the front and gets in before starting the engine and heading towards the apartment. I lay my head on the window as my eyes become heavy, until they close and the darkness takes me.

>>>>>>>>

I feel strong arms pick me up and I hear a car door slam, I figured we had made it back to the apartment and Benji was carrying me. Normally I wouldn't let him, but right now I was to wore out to walk or even move for that matter. I lay my head in the crook of his neck as he carries into the lounge. I hear the elevator ding and feel my body dip as he pushes the button. I tighten my hold on him.

"Don't worry Lacey I won't drop you" he reassures me in a soft voice.

"Go back to sleep" he whispers

The elevator dings again and he starts walking again, he stops and loosens his hold on me as he opens the door to the apartment.

I whimper in fear, feeling like I'm falling

He pushes the door open with his foot and walks inside.

"It's okay Lacey" he soothes

He kicks the door shut and starts walking to my bedroom. All the lights were off so I was assuming Jonas was asleep.

"What the hell happened to her?"

Nope I was wrong.

"She had some beers, and she got tired so I brought her up here" I hear Benji respond.

Next thing I know I'm on my bed.

"Why would you let her drink!" Jonas says to him

"I didn't give her the beer"

"No but you didn't take it away either! You know how she is Benji"

I hear Benji scoff

"She's an adult Jonas, not a child. And you have so say in it, because you weren't there for her I was!" He snaps.

Jonas is silent for a minute before speaking again.

"I know you're right, I wasn't. But you promised you'd take care of her"

"She's drunk Jonas! She's fine! I brought her back didn't i?"

Before Jonas can respond I decide to speak up.

"Can you pricks please shut up, I have a headache and I need sleep"

They both whip their heads toward me, Jonas moves closer to my bed and Benji walks towards the door.

"I'll see you tomorrow Lace"

"Hey Benji?" Jonas says before he leaves.

"Yeah?"

"Thank you"

Benji nods his head and walks out shutting my bedroom door behind him.

I shut my eyes again, I wanted to open them and see him, but I couldn't. They were to heavy.

I hear Jonas shuffling around in my room and then feel a blanket on me, he tucks me in and shuts off the lamp before heading towards the door. As he grips the handle he stops and turns back towards me. He shuffles towards me and kneels down planting a soft, warm kiss on my forehead.

"Goodnight lulu" he whispers

He walks away and I hear the latch click on my door. I didn't have time to process what happened before I was taken by the darkness again.