Chapter 36 - Together Again

Within minutes, the SSDT were out the door and in the car rushing to Loot Lake. If Drift really was there, they had to stop him before he could continue Kevin's plan - if Drift really still was under his control.

Soon enough they had arrived at the Lake. John parked the car and they all rushed into one of the far left building, where Valor, Battlehawk, and Squad Leader were watching from the window.

"John! There you are," Valor sighed, setting her walkie-talkie down. "I thought you guys weren't coming."

"Are you kidding? We've been looking for Drift for almost an entire month, I wouldn't've let Mr. Wick not take us to the Lake. Thanks for letting us know, Val," Y/n smiled softly.

Though she was happy to see Valor and everyone else again, she was mainly anxious to see Drift again. After all, she hadn't properly seen her boyfriend in over a month.

"Where is he now?" John asked.

"He's inside the other building. I think he's waiting for the right time," Squaddie said, looking out the window at the other building.

"Perfect, let's go!" Raptor started to walk away. Carbide grabbed his jacket's collar, holding him back. Raptor grunted, "Whats the big idea? Let's go get Drift!"

"As much as I want to see Drift, I think we should wait. We don't know if it's Drift or Kevin, remember? If it's Kevin, we're fucked," Y/n frowned. "I think it's safer to wait."

"Well, how are we going to tell if it's really Drift or not?" Carbide asked.

"I'll know. I know Drift better than anyone," Y/n said, smiling lightly. "I could tell if he was going to act rude or be himself by his eyes. Nobody else noticed, but he was only a jerk when his eyes were purple, not brown."

"I... didn't think of that," John said, impressed. "Good eyes, Y/n. You're our best bet, then."

Y/n smile: at John, when Battlehawk groaned.

"I've got good and bad news."

Everyone turned their attention to Battlehawk, who turned from the window to the group.

"Drift just left the building and is walking to the Cube on the pier. But, he's wearing his kitsune mask. There's no way we can tell unless someone is right there with him," Battlehawk said

"I'll do it," Y/n said quickly.

"Y/n, no, like you said, we have no idea if this is Drift or... Kevin?" John asked, "Who the hell is Kevin?"

"The Cube."

"The Cube has a name?"

"The Cube's name is Kevin. Not important, though. Like I said, John, I know Drift better than any of you. I'm your best bet," Y/n said

John thought for a moment, before nodding. Y/n rarely if ever called him John, so he knew she meant business.

"Alright. Just... be careful, alright? We'll stay behind. We have no idea what 'Kevin' or Drift can do."

Y/n nodded, before taking a deep breath. Her heartbeat began to quicken as she walked out the door and onto the pier.

She immediately saw Drift and a smile instantly began to take over her face.

Her emotions got the better of her as she ran forward toward him, "Drift!" she shouted.

Drift froze, and turned around. From under the mask, his eyes go wide. He gasped, "Y/n?!"

She started to go in for a hug before Drift took a step back, putting his arms in front of him to stop her.

"Wait. Don't come near me, I don't want to hurt you on accident."

"Why would you hurt me...?" Y/n asked, letting her arms fall to her sides. Though all she wanted to do was hug him, she stayed put, ready to listen.

"Kevin let me regain control over my body again, but not for long. He can still take over at any moment again. I don't want you to be close to me if he decides to pay me a visit again, he could hurt you," Drift said, sighing deeply.

Y/n nodded slowly, "How... how are you?"

"Well, besides being enslaved, being forced out of my own body and forced to live as a shadow for the past few days, I would say I'm doing alright," Drift grinned, laughing a little.

Y/n couldn't help but smile at Drift's humor at a time like this. She missed his laugh so much that it warned her heart to finally hear it again.

She shook her head, "A few days? You've been gone a month and a half, Drift."

Drift's smile faded from under the mask, "What?"

"You've been gone a month. Nearly two. I guess you were right that while in shadow form you don't have a sense of time," Y/n shrugged.

"I guess not... I'm.. so sorry," Drift frowned. He thought for a moment, before acting on his emotions.

He walked closer to her and hugged her tightly - against his better judgement. Immediately, she hugged him back, wrapping her arms around his torso. She rested her head on his chest as happy tears threatened to fall.

"You have no idea how much I've missed you," Drift said, his voice becoming weak. "I cant believe I was gone for that long."

He hugged her tighter, missing his arms around hers.

She looked up at him, "Take off your mask."

Drift paused, before taking off his kitsune mask. He set it down on the pier's floor as he looked into Y/n's eyes.

Y/n smiled widely, "I've missed those eyes."

Drift laughed and looked down, blushing lightly. "Yeah, I've missed seeing yours, too," he smiled softly down at her.

He admired her features when he began to feel woozy again.

"I told you to be careful, and look what you've done. She's distracting you. We can't have this..." Kevin's voice roars in his head.

"N-no, stop!" Drift shouts out loud in response.

Y/n flinches at his sudden change in his voice, "Drift?!"

Drift's eyes flash from his usual golden brown to the dark purple again quickly.

Y/n gasped as Drift grasped Y/n's arms tightly, "Leave me alone," "Drift" spat at her. He pushed her back forcefully as she staggered backwards, stumbling over her feet and falling over. She screamed as she hit her head on the floor; but not hard enough to knock her out cold.

Tears cloud her vision as she clutched the back of her head, hissing in pain. She sat up while "Drift" turned his attention from Y/n back to the Cube.

Drift winced in pain as he regained control again. He breathed heavily and turned around, his face falling as he realized that Kevin hurt Y/n.

"You fucking liar! You said you would hurt her!" he yelled.

He started to rush over to help her when Kevin stops him. Drift tried to fight back, but to his dismay, Kevin was able to stop him from running to Y/n.

"No, no. Leave her be. Focus on the task at hand and I won't hurt her again."

Drift shook his head and mouths "I'm so sorry" to her before turning again.

He had to finish what Kevin started.

Today.

<><><><><><><><><><><>

The final two chapters are tomorrow. Thank you all for this incredible experience while writing this story 🥰