Chapter 41

"So, we are understaffed tonight." John said as he, Roy, Oliver, Laurel and Winn all gathered in what they'd started to call the bunker.

"Not sure how much help Sara would be in her current state and Thea is watching my mom and Walter in case Slade tries to get to me through them. And I doubt that he'll go after Laurel's family considering he's already attacked Alex to get to Sara." Oliver said and Roy and John nodded.

"Anyways, so these hoods, they killed the mayor." John asked.

"Yeah, apparently they were inspired by the Green Arrow in the wrong way. Trying to eliminate corruption." Oliver said, not believing that even with the Undertaking prevented, the Hoods were still an issue.

"So, what's the plan?" Laurel asked.

"Simple, we find them and take them down. No killing." Oliver said.

"You sure the plan can be as simple as that?" John asked.

"Winn, can you get any surveillance footage of the mayor's murder?" Oliver asked and Winn nodded.

"Already done. I'm pretty sure that these Ghosts were trying to send a message since they offed the mayor at his own gala. The place was packed and surveillance cameras everywhere." Winn said as he brought up the footage.

"These guys are clearly not experts, though they are well trained. My best guess is that they got tired of watching the rest of the city turn a blind eye to the people in the Glades and then, when the Green Arrow showed up, they saw a way to make themselves heard and decided to try and get their own form of justice." Oliver said.

"Except this isn't justice. It's cold blooded murder. We've only gone after people who have actually hurt this city and the people in it. These guys are just killing people they don't like." Laurel said.

"True, but they aren't the only ones who feel that way. Ever since Merlyn's plans with the Undertaking got out, the people in the Glades have been feeling more abandoned by the rest of the city. Crime is at an all time high there and the SCPD doesn't do much to stop it anymore." Roy said, being the only one who actually lived in the Glades.

"What are you saying?" Oliver asked.

"What I'm saying is that even if you take out the Hoods and we will, it'll only be a matter of time before someone else decides to take their shot at this game. Oliver, yes, we can put them behind bars, but something the Green Arrow can't do is show people that they don't need to become vigilantes, that the city hasn't forgotten about them." Roy said.

"Sounds like you have a different course of action in mind." John said.

"Stopping the Hoods won't accomplish anything in the long run. If we want to stop this problem, we need to actually impact change in the light. Not from the shadows." Roy said.

"Any suggestions on how we'd do that?" Laurel asked.

"The mayor being shot does present us with an interesting opportunity." Roy said.

"You think one of us should run for mayor?" Oliver asked, since even though he'd already been mayor of Star City once before, he already decided that he did not want to get in that ring again. Besides, there was someone else he felt would be much more qualified for the position.

"Not just one of us. You." Roy said as all eyes turned to Oliver.

"No. I appreciate the vote of confidence Roy but I don't have the temperament required to sit in council meetings every day. Besides, I doubt at this point in time anyone would take my candidacy seriously." Oliver said.

"Please tell me there's a but coming." John said.

"While I don't plan on running for mayor, there is someone else in this room that I think would make a great mayor." Oliver said as his eyes turned to Laurel.

"Wait, me?" Laurel asked, shocked as John, Roy and Winn looked at her to.

"Yeah, I mean Laurel, you're already a beloved public figure, you're an expert on the legal system, you're familiar with politics and most importantly, you're a normal person." Oliver said.

"Come again?" Laurel asked, confused.

"Most of the people who run for mayor are people like me. Rich one percenters who talk a good talk but never follow through once they're in office. You grew up in Star City and you can actually relate to the voters since you're actually similar to them." Oliver said.

"He's got a point Laurel." John said.

"You all really think I should run for mayor?" Laurel asked.

"Only if you want to, but I think you'd make a great mayor." Oliver said.

"I'll think about it. But for now, I believe we have killers to catch." Laurel said and Oliver nodded, already seeing the gears turning inside her head and he knew that she'd come around to the idea eventually.