Chapter 47

"And you're sure you've never heard of anyone or anything like this?" John asked Oliver, who shook his head.

"No, nothing. But this lantern, it looks alien to me. So I called in someone who might be able to help us figure out who or what this guy is." Oliver said as Kara flew into the room.

"So what's the emergency?" Kara asked before she spotted Hal.

"Whoa, I never thought I'd actually get to meet one of these guys." Kara said as she moved next to Hal.

"You recognize what I am?" Hal asked.

"I grew up hearing stories about your people. I thought you were a legend." Kara said.

"No, we're real." Hal said as he gripped his side.

"Wait, you know what this guy is?" Oliver asked.

"Yeah, he's a Green Lantern, they're like an intergalactic police force, the best of the best. Sworn to protecting the universe. I had no idea there were any human lanterns." Kara said.

"So he's a good guy?" John asked.

"There aren't many people out there better than Green Lanterns." Kara confirmed as she helped Hal sit up, but he groaned in pain.

"What happened to you?" Oliver asked, relaxing now that he knew this guy was an ally.

"Not really sure honestly. I was patrolling the stars when something attacked me and the next thing I know, I'm badly hurt back on my home planet." Hal said as he coughed up some blood.

"So what brought you here?" John asked.

"This." Hal said as he held up his ring.

"A green lantern ring." Kara said and Hal nodded.

"My injuries are too severe to be healed by Earth's science and there's no time for me to get to a planet that can heal me. I'm dying. So I told my ring to take me to someone worthy of taking my mantle. It brought me here. To you Mr. Diggle." Hal said.

"Why me?" John asked.

"The ring will select someone with an indomitable will, morals, bravery and honor (I can't remember what the exact qualities of a Green Lantern are, but these seem about right)." Hal said.

"Wait, the ring?" Oliver asked.

"The ring is the source of a Green Lantern's power. It channels the willpower of all sentient beings in the universe into energy which powers the ring and makes a person the Green Lantern. The ring will only select someone it believes is worthy of that power and it seems like you are the one it wants to become the new Green Lantern." Hal said as he took off his ring and handed it to John.

"Wait, I could be real superhero?" John asked and Hal nodded as his suit vanished and he was wearing normal clothes again.

"Yeah, but you need to consider your choice carefully. Once you commit to the Corp, there's no turning back. You have a choice, you can either reject the ring and send it to find someone else to take my mantle or you can recite the oath to the Lantern and gain powers you've never even dreamed of before." Hal said before he finally succumb to his injuries.

"He's gone." Kara said, hearing his heart stop.

"You okay?" Oliver asked her, concerned.

"Can't save them all right. Besides, his time had come and at least he went out with honor. But now John, you have a decision to make." Kara said as John looked at the ring in his hand.

"I don't know what to do." John admitted.

"I'd love to help you out, but I need to get back to Central City. I'll be in touch." Kara said as she flew out the window.

"You want to do this don't you John?" Oliver asked.

"I do, but I also don't want to abandon you or the team." John said.

"Joh, you're not abandoning us. Something tells me that this was always your destiny. To be a hero, not just my sidekick. I'd never be able to forgive myself if you turned down this opportunity because of me. The team will understand and they'll be happy for you John. And honestly, I think we both knew that someday you'd be striking out on your own. We just didn't think it would happen until later." Oliver said and John sighed.

"You're sure about this man?" John asked.

"Yes, but only if you want to do it. But John, you should know that whatever you decided to do, you'll always be more than a bodyguard or a friend to me. You're my brother and nothing will ever change that." Oliver said, knowing that he needed to let John become the hero he'd always been destined to be. Besides, now his team would only have people who left without being manipulated by Diaz as he left John's apartment.

John spent a while just looking at the ring in his hand and the lantern on his table before making his decision as he slid the ring on and suddenly, he began speaking before he even realized what he was saying.

" In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight, let those who worship evil's might, beware my power... Green Lantern's light!" John recited, having no idea how he knew those words, but suddenly both the lantern and his new ring began glowing and in a flash of bright green light, both he and Hal's body disappeared.

Well, John is officially the new Green Lantern and I will be minimizing his role in the story from now on, since he'll be spending less time on earth now that he's the Green Lantern. I feel like part of the reason John left Team Arrow last season wasn't just because of Oliver stringing him along, but also him getting tired of always seeming to be living in Oliver's shadow.