Chapter 127

Laurel was taking a deep breath as she prepared to make her address to the press.

"You sure you're ready for this?" Oliver asked his wife.

"Ollie, I'm not announcing I'm pregnant yet. We agreed to wait until it was noticeable to say anything." Laurel reminded him.

"I know. But still, this is a big moment. And not just for you." Oliver said.

"I still don't know how I've managed to hold on to office this long." Laurel said as Oliver smiled.

"It's because the city knows that you're the best person for the job. I wouldn't be surprised if the people just disregarded the next election and asked you stay on for a second term and maybe even longer." Oliver said and Laurel smiled.

"I appreciate the vote of confidence Ollie, but I have no intention of undermining democracy." Laurel said.

"You'll do great out there. Just like you always do." Oliver said and Laurel nodded as she kissed him before he headed out to join the crowd.

"Thank you all for coming. As you know, one of my promises as mayor has been to help reunify the Glades with the rest of this city. Today I am proud to be announcing the next step we take in that journey. Today I announce the formation of the new Glades Police Task Force. This task force has comprised of some of the best and bravest officers of the SCPD. This task force will operate within the Glades and help bring back a sense of security to that part of the city, until such a time comes that the rest of the police force is willing to resume patrolling it, since while I understand why certain officers are hesitant to do so, things will never improve there until we take action. Leading this task force will be Police Captain Quentin Lance." Laurel said as her father joined her on stage.

"Thank you Mayor Queen. And now, I'd like to proudly introduce the cops who have volunteered their services to help clean up the Glades." Quentin said as several officers, including Thea and Roy, walked up onto the stage and everyone began clapping as they stood at attention.

"Congratulations to all of you. I wish you the best of luck and thank you for your commitment to helping make this city a safer place for us all." Laurel said as she returned to the podium and began taking questions.

"Madam Mayor, did you appoint Captain Lance as the head of this operation simply due to the fact that he's your father?" one of the reporters asked.

"No, I do not show favoritism in this office. I chose Captain Lance simply because he was the most qualified candidate for this job. Captain Pike is still needed to maintain the rest of the Police force, he seemed like a clear choice." Laurel said.

After the ceremony, Oliver returned to work to find someone very familiar waiting for him in his office.

"I don't recall having you on my schedule today?" Oliver said to the woman.

"You don't even know who I am." the woman said.

"Isabel Rochev, VP of Stellmoor Industries, I did my research on my competitors after I took this job. What exactly brings you here?" Oliver asked.

"Well, clearly your research isn't that up to date. It's former VP of Stellmoor Industries now." Isabel said.

"Well, I'm sorry, but I still don't understand what you're doing here, in my office without an appointment. How'd you even get in here?" Oliver asked, since he already knew why Isabel was here and was now thinking he needed to have a talk with his head of security.

"Well, I heard that Queen Consolidated is still looking for a new VP and I was hoping that I could get a job here." Isabel said with a flirty smile.

"Yeah, that position was actually filled this morning." Oliver said.

"What, by who?" Isabel said, shocked as John entered the office, dressed in a suit.

"Mr. Queen." John said.

"Meet John Diggle, my new Vice President." Oliver said smugly.

"But surely you have a position open for someone of my experience." Isabel tried to reason, since she was desperate to get what she believed what was rightfully hers.

"Sorry, no openings. And by the way Ms. Rochev, I am aware of your history with this company and that is why I can say that you will never have a position in it, since I am not my father. Now get out of my building and security will be informed never to allow you on the premises again." Oliver said.

"Speaking of which." John said as two security guards entered the office.

"Mr. Queen, I'm so sorry she got past us." One of the guards said.

"It's fine, just please escort Ms. Rochev out of my office and this building and inform the security department that she is not to be allowed back on under any circumstances." Oliver said and the guards nodded as they forced Isabel to leave the office.

"Not that I'm complaining, but why did you ban Isabel?" John asked.

"Well for one thing, back when I was looking for skeletons in the closet, I discovered that back when she was in college, Ms. Rochev interned for Queen Consolidated." Oliver said.

"Why would that come up while you were searching for closet skeletons?" John asked.

"Because Isabel was another one of my father's mistresses." Oliver said and now John nodded.

"Well, Laurel will be happy to hear that you turned her down." John said.

"We are not telling her that part, simply because she doesn't need to know about it." Oliver said and John nodded his agreement.