Chapter 120

Laurel was standing in the police precinct with her father, first looking at all the newly minted police officers, including Thea, who were officially graduating from the academy today to become fully fledged officers of the Star City Police Department, and then turning to look at all the people who'd shown up to witness this momentous occasion.

"Before we begin, I'd like to take a moment to thank you all for joining us to witness the accomplishment of the brave men and women you see seated before you. You have all chosen a very dangerous, yet very necessary career path and your actions have not gone unnoticed. Crime is down significantly, Our streets are peaceful. People are not only moving here, they are staying here, and do you want to know why? It's because you help them feel safe. Whereas other people run from danger, you run towards it time and time and time again, and for that, we all owe you a huge debt of gratitude, so thank you. Thank you for protecting our families, for protecting us, and for protecting our beautiful city. And that is why is my great pleasure to officially dub you all officers of the Star City Police Department." Laurel said as everyone clapped and cheered for them.

"Congratulations Speedy. Or should I say Officer Speedy?" Oliver asked and Thea rolled her eyes as her family came up to congratulate her.

"Thank you Ollie. I still can't believe it. It's like a dream." Thea said as she looked down at the badge Laurel had given her.

"Well believe it Thea. You earned this and I'm saying that not as your boyfriend, but as your superior officer. You were by far the best cadet we had." Roy said, since Thea had passed every exam at the academy with flying colors.

"You're just saying that." Thea said.

"No he's not. I went through your records and Roy's right Thea. You graduated at the top of your class." Quentin said as he joined them.

"Now that is something I never thought I'd hear said about either of my children." Moira said.

"Very funny mom." Oliver groaned.

"Now, I think that this warrants a celebratory dinner." Walter said.

"That sounds like a plan to me." Roy said.

"Do you ever think without your stomach?" Thea asked her boyfriend, who just smiled.

"Hey, I spent my whole life eating crummy food and living in poverty. Excuse me if I want to enjoy the perks of dating a Queen." Roy said, just to have Thea slap him.

"Very funny Roy." Thea said.

"I am working on cleaning up the Glades though." Laurel said.

"I know Laurel. The programs you've established since you were elected have truly begun to help the Glades. The people there don't feel as abandoned as they used to, in fact they're actually starting to feel hopeful again." Roy said.

"I'm sure that's also due to all the charity initiatives that Oliver's been putting in place for the Glades to help build it up." Walter said.

"I'm surprised the board was so willing to back those endeavors." Moira said.

"They originally weren't, but they changed their tune after I pointed out all the good PR Queen Consolidated would get from helping rebuild the Glades, since let's face it, that part of the city has been falling apart since long before most of us were born and the city just let it." Oliver said.

"And over time, it's like the rest of the city forgot that the Glades was still a part of it." Laurel added.

"Until you reminded them Laurel. You reminded the city that Glades are just as much a part of it and the people there shouldn't have to live the way they have. You've really helped build it back up." Roy said.

"Maybe, but there's still a lot of work to be done." Laurel said.

"Alright enough doom and gloom, let's go get some food." Walter said.