Chapter 10: "I want to see where this thing goes."

A/N: My last semester of college begins tomorrow! All I had time to write today was one chapter. I had planned on getting two in, but oh well! I hopefully will have a little bit of downtime after my classes end at 11 to get another one out. We'll see! This chapter is in Grady's POV! 

***Grady's POV***

It's been a few days since we got home from Europe, and Kaitlyn and I have been texting nonstop. I'm really starting to like her, but it's been a few years since my last real relationship, and I don't want to mess anything up.

Kaitlyn: Good morning. <3 Do you want to come over? Rachel's parents left for work, and Rachel is still sleeping.

Me: Is she sleeping or is Gerald just keeping her occupied?

Kaitlyn: LOL. she's sleeping, i just checked.

Me: alright, i'll be over soon. :)

I got up off my bed and went over to my closet, throwing on a pair of skinny jeans and a white t-shirt before checking my hair in the mirror and throwing a hat on. It was a little weird that I was going to Rachel's house to see Kaitlyn, but I wasn't complaining. I just wanted to see her.

Rachel lives about 15 minutes from my house on a good day when traffic isn't a fucking nightmare, but it was still pretty early in the day, so I didn't have any issues.

I parked in the driveway and was shocked when I didn't see Gerald's car parked anywhere - he must still be sleeping, too.

Kaitlyn opened the door and came down the stairs to meet me. She looked so cute in her fuzzy pajama pants and the t-shirt she stole from me on tour.

"Gradyyyyyy," she smiled as she hugged me tightly, reaching up to kiss my chin before tugging me back up the driveway. "I've missed you."

"I missed you too, Kait," I smiled as I shut the door behind me. "How come we're at Rachel's place?" I asked while following her into the kitchen.

She went into the fridge, grabbing us some water bottles before shutting the door and handing me one.

"I live with Rachel," she said with a small smile. "My dad was a druggie who was in and out of prison, and I was the oldest of five children, so naturally, I was raising my siblings. I spent a lot of time with Rachel while we were growing up, her mom promised mine that she'd take care of me."

I frowned, biting down on my lip.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know," I said as I wrapped an arm around her shoulders.

She shrugged with a small laugh as she reached up and kissed me softly.

"It's okay," she assured me. "It used to make me sad, but now it's not bad at all. Rachel's parents have sort of become the parents I never had," she smiled. "Come on, let's go upstairs."

Kaitlyn took my hand and lead me up the stairs, going into the room right next to Rachel's.

"See? She's knocked out," she whispered softly as we went into her room, shutting the door behind us.

"Wow," I said with a laugh as I sat down on her bed, looking at the clothes thrown all over the floor and the open suitcase on her desk next to her laptop.

She smirked as she sat down next to me on her bed, taking a drink of her water bottle.

"I tried to unpack the night we got home, but I've mostly been living out of my suitcase," she laughed. "And we've been busy helping Rachel's parents get the pool ready for the summer."

I laid down next to her, laying on my elbow as I looked at her.

"Pool?" I smirked. "Gerald and I will be over here a lot during our break," I laughed as I kissed her nose, watching her scrunch it up.

"Rachel's dad isn't too fond of Gerald because of all the shit they've been through," Kaitlyn explained as she ran a hand through my hair. "But her mom sees past it and thinks he's a genuinely good guy who just does dumb shit sometimes."

I moved my head closer to her fingers, closing my eyes as I hummed softly.

"He's a good guy," I agreed. "He just...does shit without thinking sometimes and doesn't have much of a filter."

Kaitlyn laughed as she took her hand out of my hair, moving up by her pillows and getting under the covers, moving them out of the way so I could lay next to her.

"Sorry," she smirked. "I love blankets. I think I have 6 on the bed, and there's more in the closet if you get cold," she laughed as she snuggled down under them.

"Kaitlyn," I smirked as I scooted down next to her. "It's summertime. Why on earth would you need six blankets?"

She stuck her tongue out, poking my cheek as she moved closer to me, resting her head on my shoulder as I wrapped an arm around her.

"You'd be surprised how cold it gets in here at night!" She laughed. "Rachel's dad keeps the air on all the time."

I absentmindedly played with her hair as I laughed softly, biting down on my lip.

"Hey, Kaitlyn?" I asked nervously. "Would you want to go out sometime? Like, on a proper date? No take out or anything...an actual restaurant with just us?" I smiled nervously.

Her face lit up as she smiled wide, leaning in to kiss me softly.

"I loved our take out dates," she giggled softly. "But, yes, Grady, I'd love to go out on a proper date with you. In fact, I like you a lot."

My heart skipped a beat when she said she liked me. I was wondering if she did, but I was too much of an actual chicken shit to ask her.

"I like you, too, Kaitlyn," I confessed as I held her hand in mine, squeezing it softly as I brought it up to kiss her knuckles. "I want to see where this thing goes."

"Me too," she smiled. "I like having you around."