Chapter 21, Part 1: "What have I done?"

August 9, 2018
Austin, Texas
The Endless Summer Tour

***Gerald's POV***

I wiped the cocaine away from my upper lip as soon as I heard Rachel come in the door. Uh oh.

"Baby," I said with a smile as I quickly stood up, nearly stumbling over my own two feet as I shut the door, pulling her over to the couch. "Come hang out with us."

"You're fucking high," she said as she tugged her arm away, sitting on the arm of the couch. "You haven't touched this shit all summer up until now."

Grady looked at her as he took a huge swig of the vodka bottle that was sitting on the coffee table. If she were to leave and tell Kaitlyn, she would beat his ass unconscious. I had to convince her to stay.

"I just did a little bit, baby," I said, my words slurring slightly. "Come on, try it, it'll help you de-stress... it's not that bad."

P-Lo sat across from us on the other couch, rubbing some on his gums. He looked up at her with a big smile.

"Come on, lil mama, unwind with us, get your fine ass over here," he said as he waved towards him.

I tugged her down next to me, throwing my arm roughly around her shoulders. She winced slightly, but didn't get up.

"Don't talk to my fucking girl like that, bro," I said as I put the whiskey bottle to my lips, taking another swig. "I'll smack you."

"Hey, don't tell Kaitlyn," Grady muttered under his breath as he went to snort some more of the cocaine. "I don't want her finding out about this."

Rachel pushed my arm off of her shoulders as she went to stand up again to leave, but I pulled her back down.

"Babyyyyy," I whined as I leaned in, giving her a big, sloppy kiss on the cheek. "Please don't go. Please stay for a while and have some fun. This'll help you relax."

She rolled her eyes, sitting down next to me again as she set her purse and phone down on the floor, watching me as I put some cocaine on my thumb and finger.

"You're gonna kill me, Gerald," she said softly as she watched me. "I don't think I wanna do this."

"Oh, come on, Rachel," Grady said as he put some more cocaine in a piece of paper to snort. "A little isn't gonna hurt you. Don't be a baby."

"I'll be right here if anything happens to you," I assured her as I held a pinch of cocaine between my fingers. "Promise, I won't let anything happen to you."

She relaxed a little bit and leaned back against the couch, watching me as I opened up her mouth, starting to rub the cocaine on her gums. Once I put some on the top, I moved back over, grabbing another little pinch to put back on the bottom.

I watched her as she sat there for a few minutes, not really saying much. I couldn't tell if I gave her enough.

"How do you feel, baby?" I asked as I put a hand on her thigh. "Do you want any more?" I muttered as I reached over to grab another pinch of it.

She swatted my hand away when I brought it to her mouth, sitting up quickly as she started to scratch at her arms.

"What the fuck did you do to me?!" She yelled as tears started to fill in her eyes. "There are fucking bugs crawling on me, Gerald."

"Baby, sit down," I said as I pulled her back down, moving her hands away from her arms. "That's just the drug kicking in. There's nothing on you. You're fine," I reassured her as I reached for the bottle of whiskey, "Take a drink. It'll help calm your nerves."

Rachel took the bottle from me and held it to her lips, taking quite a big swig of it. She wasn't usually a drinker, which shocked me.

"Better?" I asked as I took the bottle from her, taking a drink as I passed it back to her. I watched her take another drink. She calmed down slightly, so it seemed to be working.

It seems like I may have spoken too soon, because she shot up again, stumbling as she walked to the other side of the room, pacing.

"There are fucking bugs crawling on me," she muttered, looking around up at the ceiling. "I have ... I have to call Kaitlyn to come to get me."

I stayed where I was on the couch with Grady, snorting another round of cocaine as I watched Rachel pace the room. I figured if I let her walk around, she'd calm down, but what I didn't see her doing was scratching herself, and I wasn't aware of how hard she was pressing her nails into her skin.

P-Lo got up and said he was going to the bathroom, but he made his way over to Rachel and cornered her.

"Hey, Rachel, it's okay," he said softly as he gently moved her against the wall. "Come chill with us," he said as he put his hands on her breasts, squeezing them lightly.

She was so disoriented at this point, she couldn't move or fight him off of her.

"Stop... it," she said as she fought to keep her eyes open.

He moved his hands to her ass, leaning in and kissing her softly.

"Man, Gerald was right, your ass is out of this world," he said as he squeezed it firmly again, causing her to yelp. This time, Grady heard it.

Grady saw them in the corner of the room and ran over, yanking him off of Rachel.

"Are you fucking out of your mind?!" He whisper-yelled. "If Gerald saw what I just witnessed, you'd be a fucking dead man." He said, pulling P-Lo back over to the couch with him.

Rachel leaned against the wall for a minute, trying to muster up the strength to come back over to the couch with us.

"Baby," I called as I waved her over. "Come take another drink of whiskey ... it'll make you feel more alert."

Rachel pushed herself off the wall and started to walk over to the couch. Her knees started to buckle under her, and by the time I had gotten up to go help her walk, she had fallen down to the floor. Her eyes were closed, and she wasn't breathing.

"RACHEL!" I yelled as I sank down on my knees next to her, pumping on her chest. "Come on, babyyyyy, wake uuuuuup," I slurred as I grabbed the bottle of whiskey behind me, pouring some in her mouth.

The door had flung open again, and it was Kaitlyn this time. Her eyes immediately went to Rachel on the floor. She shoved me out of the way, shaking Rachel's body.

"WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU DO, GERALD?!" She yelled as she tried to wake Rachel up. "SHE'S NOT BREATHING!"

Kaitlyn shakily pulled her phone out of her pocket and dialed 9-1-1. She tried to explain the situation as best she could to the operator while she was crying, and hung up when they said they were sending someone immediately.

She looked over at Grady and shook her head, staying on the ground next to Rachel's body.

"I'll fucking deal with your stupid ass later," she yelled as she continued pumping Rachel's chest with her hands. "Come on, Rachel, wake up ... I can't lose you," she said as she started to cry again. "Please wake up, please ... please."

After what seemed like forever, the paramedics finally arrived and ordered everyone out of the room.

They rushed over to Rachel's body, getting down on the floor and opening up the defibrillator. The female one cut open her shirt and her bra as they prepared the machine.

The first two attempts to get a heartbeat had no success, but after the third one, we heard them yell that they got a faint one.

They hooked her up to one of those oxygen machine things and put her on the bed to take her to the ambulance.

Kaitlyn followed them out, and I started to go with her, but she harshly shoved me backward.

"I don't want you ANYWHERE near her right now," she yelled as she pushed me again. "You almost killed my best friend. Stay the fuck away from her," she said as she ran towards the paramedics, going to get in the ambulance with them.

"I almost killed Rachel...." I said as I stood there, watching the ambulance doors closed. "What have I done?"