Chapter 20: "I wanna make sure you're prepared. You work so hard."

August 9, 2018
Austin, Texas

The Endless Summer Tour

"Did you pick me as a roommate yet?" Kaitlyn asked as she scrolled through the course listing for her major. "Hurry up before some stupid bitch picks me."

"Sorry, yes, I'm doing it now," I groaned as I clicked on the ResLife portal. "I was trying to pick classes to take this semester. I can't believe we didn't do this earlier," I muttered as I logged in, going to my housing tab and picking Kaitlyn as my roommate.

Gerald and Grady walked into the dressing room after Gerald had finished his rehearsal for the day. The meet and greet were supposed to start in two hours, and it was probably going to take us that long to pick our classes.

"Baby, aren't you supposed to be outside getting footage?" Gerald laughed as he walked over to the couch, moving my legs and sitting down, placing them back in his lap. "What are you doing anyway?"

"Get out of here, dumb and dumber," Kaitlyn said, not looking up from her laptop. "We're trying to be responsible adults and pick our classes."

Grady pouted as he sat down next to Kaitlyn, looking at her screen.

"You're taking themes in gender, law, and justice?" He asked, looking confused. "Isn't your major elementary education?"

Kaitlyn glanced up at him, running a hand through his hair with a laugh.

"Yes," she smiled as she kissed his cheek. "But I got all my field work done a semester early, so now I'm just taking blow off electives."

"What's my major, Gerald?" I laughed as I looked up at him while he drummed on my legs with his fingertips.

"Oh, baby, that's tooooooo many words to remember," he pouted as he looked at me. "I at least know it's journalism."

Kaitlyn started typing on her laptop again, shaking her head with a laugh.

"That's key for 'I don't remember because you have too many fucking majors.'" she smirked as she looked back at Grady. "At least he knows mine."

"I'm majoring in journalism with a print and internet emphasis, but my other two emphasis areas are documentary journalism and entertainment promotion," I said with a smirk as I watched Gerald. "But I'm proud you remembered one."

"OOOOOHH," Kaitlyn yelled. "RACHEL! Take a class with me."

I looked through my course catalog, humming as I selected the other courses that I needed. Kaitlyn and I both have one semester left before we graduate and go into the real world .... Also known as following Gerald on tour and "working."

"Let's take constructive of gender, race and sexuality in mass media," I laughed as I signed up for it, looking up when she made a face at me. "Oh, come on, it'll be fun."

"You always pick the dumbest shit," she muttered as she went to sign up for the class. "9 a.m. on Mondays and Fridays?! Ugh, you bitch."

"You guys are taking shit that sounds hard," Gerald laughed as he opened a bottle of whiskey, taking a drink. "But good for you."

Kaitlyn shook her head, leaning back against Grady's arm while he messed around with his camera.

"You're just dumber than a box of rocks," she said with a laugh, closing her laptop. "I ordered all my books ... $500."

"Oh, fuck, I forgot about that," I frowned as I clicked around, adding my books to my cart. "Yours are less than mine."

Gerald reached in his back pocket, getting his wallet out and handing me his credit card.

"Here, baby girl," he said as he reached forward and kissed my cheek. "You deserve it."

"Aw, babe," I said as I ran a hand through his hair. "It's so much money, though," I said as I held it in my hand.

He shook his head again as he stood up when BJ came in the room to let him know that he had to get ready for his meet and greet.

"Don't worry about it, Rach," he said as he kissed my forehead. "I wanna make sure you're prepared. You work so hard."

I smiled again, waving bye as he walked out of the room. I ordered my books and put his card in the back of my phone so I wouldn't lose it.

"Aw, the boyfriend of the year," Kaitlyn teased as she laid back on the couch. "At least we got all of our shit done.... Can you believe we'll be going back in about three weeks?"

"I know," I said as I looked over at her. "At least we survived this summer."

Xoxox

I stuck around in the venue after the lights came on to meet some more fans and film them for Gerald's mini-series. He didn't have any afterparty to go to, so I was hoping we could spend some alone time together because we haven't gotten much of it lately.

His door was shut and there was nobody around, which was weird. Usually, it's open, and there are people coming in and out, especially when the show has just gotten over.

I put my phone in my pocket and opened the door, walking in to find Gerald, Grady and P-Lo sitting on the couch. In front of them were a few credit cards, open bottles of alcohol, and a white powdery substance ... I swear, I could feel my heart sink.

"Gerald, what the fuck?"