Chapter 37: "I don't know what I'd do if I lost you for good."

Textbooks, notecards and study guides were in various piles on the floor of our dorm room. We were preparing for finals, and we were stressing because if we didn't pass, we didn't graduate.

"At least our documentary is all done and edited," I laughed as I stretched out on the floor, stretching my arms above my head. "Although I wasn't really worried about that in the first place, it was easy."

"Don't talk to me," Kaitlyn said sharply as her eyes moved across her computer screen. "My thesis has to be 20 pages. I'm only on page 15, and I'm running out of things to say."

I got up off the floor when I heard someone knock on the door.

"Who's that?" I muttered, going over to it. "Did you order food?"

"No, I haven't eaten all day because I'm stressed about this stupid thesis," Kaitlyn groaned as she leaned her head against the bed, watching me open the door.

Grady and Gerald were standing at the door, and I was shocked to see them both, especially Gerald because I thought he was busy with his album.

"Hello!" They both said as they walked into the room, dropping their bags over by our closet.

"We're here to get you through finals," Grady said as he walked over to Kaitlyn.

"Don't touch me," she said as she moved away from him. "I'm trying to finish this paper. And it has to be 20 pages."

Grady pouted as he watched her fingers dance across the keyboard.

"But I'm horny, and I wanna fuck," he chuckled, taking his beanie off and running a hand through his hair. "Plleeeeease?" He muttered, placing a hand on her hip.

"I will break up with you," she said as she slapped his hand away. "Don't touch me right now, I'm trying to get this done, and I have five pages left," she frowned as she looked back at the screen. "There's lotion in the bathroom, go help yourself."

Gerald laughed at them as he laid down on my bed, watching me pick up some notecards off the floor.

"What about you, Rach?" He asked. "How are your finals going?"

I sat down, turning my body to face him as I smiled slightly.

"Pretty good, I think," I laughed as I played with the notecards in my hands. "I have two actual finals, and then I have to present our documentary with Kaitlyn and Tyler. We finally finished it, and I'm pretty proud of it."

"That's good, I'm so proud of you," he smiled as he put a hand on my thigh. "Do you wanna go eat somewhere? So we can talk?" He asked, biting down on his lip.

I looked down at Kaitlyn and Grady on the floor before looking back up at him, nodding slightly.

"Yeah," I said as I set my notecards down. "Let me get my shoes and jacket."

I got up off my bed and went to my closet, slipping on my vans and grabbing my hoodie off the hanger. Gerald was leaning against the door waiting on me.

"Kaitlyn, I'll be back," I said as Gerald opened up the door. "We're gonna go eat."

She nodded, acknowledging that I was leaving. Her fingers still moved quickly across the keyboard, and Grady was on his laptop, presumably editing photos. They were such a cute little couple.

"Where do you want to eat?" I asked as we walked out of the hall. He put a hand on the small of my back and directed us to the rental car.

"I dunno, I guess you can pick whatever's around here to eat," he laughed as he opened up the passenger side door for me to get in. "Ladies choice."

I blushed, biting down on my lip as I watched him come around to the driver's side and get in.

"There's a little diner not too far from here. Nobody's there this time of night," I said as I typed the address into my phone's GPS. "Nobody will see us."

Xoxox

"I wanted to talk to you about the future," Gerald said as he set his burger down from taking a bite. "Because I've been thinking about it a hell of a lot."

I nodded, leaning forward and taking a sip of my Sprite, eating a few fries off of my plate.

"Okay," I said. "Go ahead."

"Well," he started, leaning back and looking at me. "I was wondering if maybe you wanted to get back together...sometime soon. Not now. I want you to focus on school and finding a job. But...I liked spending time together like this. It's nice." I bit down on my lip, looking up at him.

"Gerald," I said as I tried to hide my small smile. "I don't think I'm ready to commit to anything right now...but, maybe in the future, after I find a job and get settled into my new place...we'll see what the future holds," I said as I reached across the table for his hand. "But you have to promise me something."

"Anything," he said as he took my hand, holding it tightly. "Tell me what it is, Rach."

I took a deep breath, looking at our hands before I looked up at him as he stared at me.

"You have to promise me that it's not going to get as bad as it did over the summer," I said as I watched him. "I don't want to fall back into that toxic cycle again. I can't do it, Gerald. And the drugs, the alcohol...they can't be brought into our relationship."

"You got it, Rachel," he said as he squeezed my hand again. "I promise, I'll do what I can to keep you safe."

We sat and talked about it for a few more minutes before getting up to leave. Gerald left a tip and paid our bill, then we made our way to the car. It was pouring down rain now.

"My hair is all wet now!" I laughed as I slammed the door behind me, looking over at him. "Look at you, you're dripping," I smirked as I ran a hand through his hair.

"Still as beautiful as ever," he winked as he put the key in the ignition, stopping to look at me for a few seconds.

He pulled away from the steering wheel and moved over to the middle of the seat, slipping an arm around my waist and pulling me closer to him.

He tipped my chin up gently, reaching in slowly to kiss me, tugging on my bottom lip as our lips met.

My hands rested on his leg as I reached up to meet his lips, kissing him gently each and every time.

There was no choking, no biting, nothing rough. Just us, kissing in the car as the rain softly hit the window.

He pulled away after a few minutes, his thumb stroking my cheek as he looked me in the eyes.

"I don't know what I'd do if I lost you for good," he murmured, kissing my forehead, then my nose and then my lips again, causing me to giggle slightly. "I love you more than anything."

I looked up at him, pressing my lips to his cheek as I rested my hand on his shoulder.

"I love you, Gerald, but you have to work on doing a better job of proving it to me, if you really want this to work," I said as I squeezed his hand that was resting on my thigh.

He nodded, kissing my head again softly as he pulled away to finally start the car.

"I promise, with all my heart, that I'm going to show and give you all the love in this world," he said as he squeezed my hand tightly. "Forever."