Chapter 36: "Do you really still love him?"

*** Kaitlyn's POV ***

"YOU'RE BACK!" Rachel yelled as she attacked me in a hug while I barely got into our dorm. "I missed you!"

I laughed as I closed the door, dropping my stuff on the floor before becoming engulfed in a tight hug.

"I missed you, too," I said as I pulled away. "I have stuff to show you!"

"Oooh, yes!" Rachel said as she sat down on my bed next to me. "Show me. You didn't update Instagram or send me photos ALL WEEKEND, so I'm DYING to know how it went."

I took off the chain around my neck and set it in her hand, letting her look at the key.

"This is a key to Grady's house," I explained as her eyes shot up, looking me in the face. "He wants me to move in with hi-"

"SHUT UP!" She squealed excitedly. "I'm so happy for you!" She said as she hugged me, handing me back the necklace. "What's that?" She asked, pointing to my finger.

I took it off, letting her hold it.

"That's a promise ring," I said with a smile. "We agreed that while neither of us is ready for marriage at this point in time, we do want to spend the rest of our lives together. So, he gave me this ring."

She smiled up at me as she slid it back on my finger.

"I'm so glad you found Grady," she said as she stood up, going to lay down on her bed. "He makes you so happy, and that makes me happy."

Xoxox

I dreaded waking up the next morning for my educational thesis class, but we had to meet today to turn in the rough drafts of our final. Mine was 10 pages, and I wasn't even done yet. Why did I choose education as my major again?

Ricky was sitting in his usual seat when I walked in. I was holding my drink and my notebook as I slid into my seat, meeting his eyes when he looked over at me.

"Rachel had a pretty interesting break," he said, setting his phone down. "I went to go take her out for breakfast, then I found this hoodie on her floor. Come to find out, it's Gerald's. She fucked him."

I spit out my lemonade, choking on air as I caught my breath.

"I'm sorry, what?" I asked, making sure I heard him right. "Did you say she fucked Gerald?"

He nodded, waiting for me to catch my breath.

"Yeah," he said softly. "And then I said some things I shouldn't ha-"

"What did you say to her?" I asked, my voice raising slightly. "I swear, if you hurt her, I'm coming for you."

"She hurt me!" He said defensively before sighing. "I called her a whore and said that she was broken...and that she was still holding onto the idea that Gerald was in love with her, and that nobody else would love her..."

I stood up, smacking him with a notebook repeatedly before he grabbed it out of my hands.

"She's not a whore!" I yelled at him, sitting back down. "She may be still in love with Gerald, but god damn it, Ricky, she was with him for nearly three years! You can't get over someone that fast. She's not broken, she's just going through it right now and needs support."

"But, I-" He said as he watched me.

"You're the asshole here, Ricky," I said as I stood up to turn in my rough draft when our professor walked in the room. "And you're not even fucking dating, so there was no reason to get mad at her anyway."

After I talked over my rough draft with my professor, I made my way back to the dorm. I knew Rachel was going to be there because she usually didn't have anything to do on Tuesdays except direct a show at 7 p.m.

"Excuse me," I said when I walked in, slamming the door. "You left out a little tiny detail about your weekend."

"I did?" She asked, looking up at me. "What did I leave out?"

I hit her with my bag, causing her to flinch and shove me aside.

"YOU DIDN'T TELL ME YOU FUCKED GERALD!" I yelled, stepping back. "YOU DIDN'T MENTION THAT YOU SAW HIM AT ALL EXCEPT FOR THE INTERVIEW!"

"ALRIGHT!" She yelled as she stood up. "We...hooked up. It just sort of happened, I guess...but Kaitlyn, he was so gentle...and...after Ricky and I got into that fight and he said all those mean things, Gerald brought me flowers and cuddled with me, and rubbed my back..."

I sighed as I listened to her talk about Gerald while I sat down on my bed.

"Do you really still love him?" I asked, biting down on my lip. "Even after all he's done to you? Come on, Rachel, he's no good for you."

"Kaitlyn," she said as she started to cry. "I love him. More than anyone on this Earth. I spent three years with him. That's a long time to be with someone. I can't let go just like that....I just want a stable relationship with him like you and Grady have," she said as she started to sob.

I stood up and walked over to her bed, wrapping my arms around her as she cried into my shirt. I swayed us back and forth as I bit down on my lip.

"You really love Gerald, don't you?" I asked, feeling my own voice crack.

She wiped her eyes and sniffled, looking up at me.

"How you feel about Grady," she began. "Posting all those photos, talking about having a future with him, moving in together, everything...that's how I feel with Gerald. And I know it's useless...I know I have to get over him because we're not supposed to be together. Three years was all that was in store for us, but I love him with my whole heart and everything more."

I bit down on my lip again as I sat down next to her, draping my arm around her shoulders.

"I hate him, Rachel," I said softly. "But if he's the man you truly love and want to work things out with, I'm willing to push that aside because I care about you and your happiness."

She looked up at me, laughing quietly as she wiped her eyes again.

"That's all I ask," she said quietly as she hugged me. "We're not going to get back together for a long while...I just want to hang out and see if he's really keeping his promise."

I couldn't believe that Gerald was about to be back in my life again, just when I thought I only had to see him on tour when I visit Grady.