Chapter 33: "What are you gonna do while I'm gone?"

"I thought we weren't editing tonight," Kaitlyn groaned as she spun around in the chair. "You said you couldn't do anything else until Gerald gives you that last interview on Thursday."

"We're not doing a lot," I said as I pulled up our documentary bin in Avid. "Tyler edited a sequence together for b-roll, and it's actually pretty good. We just have to figure out where it goes."

Kaitlyn spun back around, watching me import Tyler's sequence. I clicked on it, and we both sat back and watched it.

"Oh, that's impressive," Kaitlyn said with a smile. "I didn't know he knew how to edit."

"You have to have basic editing skills in order to be a director," I said as I saved his sequence to our bin. "He hasn't edited since he got fired, so I thought he'd be a little rusty, but this was amazing," I said as I brushed my hair back, forgetting there was a small hickie below my ear.

Kaitlyn jumped out of her chair and tilted my head back, pulling my hair out of the way, causing me to yelp slightly.

"Rachel," she gasped, tracing the hickie with her thumb. "What's this? And where's it from? Did you see Gerald?"

"What?!" I said as I rubbed my neck before turning to look at her. "No, Kaitlyn, today's Tuesday, he's coming on Thursday. I went to Ricky's dorm. We had Chinese, watched a movie, and...had sex," I muttered.

"YOU DID WHAT?!" She yelled, looking at me. "Spill the details, now!"

I laughed at her reaction, leaning back in the chair and folding my hands.

"I'm not gonna tell you everything," I said as she groaned. "But I'll tell you that it was amazing. He did this thing where he lifted my leg over his shoulder, and it like...my God, it was great," I laughed. "And he left a few hickies, some are on my chest."

"Oh my god," she laughed as she tugged my shirt to the side, looking at the small hickies on my chest. "He may be nastier than Gerald."

I blushed a slight shade of pink as I smacked her hand away from my shirt.

"Stop! I didn't say that!" I laughed. "It was definitely...an experience. I wasn't expecting it, but it made me feel amazing."

Kaitlyn made an "ew" noise before laughing again, leaning back in the chair.

"OOOOH, Grady's calling," she grinned. "I'll put it on speaker," she said as she answered it, setting the phone down on the desk. "Hiiii, baby!"

We heard some crunching before Grady answered back, so we knew he was eating.

"Hellooooo, angel," he laughed. "I have a question for you."

"What is it?" She asked, twirling a piece of her hair between her fingers. "What did you do now?"

He laughed into the phone, pausing to take a drink of something.

"Nothing," he chuckled. "Well, nothing yet," he emphasized. "Gerald's flying in Thursday to help Rachel with something, but I was wondering..if I flew in tomorrow morning, would you want to take a trip to St. Louis? We'll come back Friday morning."

She smiled as she held her phone, looking up at me as I watched them talk on the phone.

"I would love to!" She squealed. "What are we going to be doing?" She asked, spinning around in the chair again.

"That, Kaitlyn," he laughed again. "Is a surprise that I am planning as we speak."

We heard the flick of a lighter, so he was lighting up a joint.

"Think of it as a little getaway trip," he said, pausing to take a hit off of his joint. "Something to put you in good spirits before you get into the last half of the semester before graduation."

Kaitlyn groaned, rubbing her eyes as she held the phone speaker up to her lips.

"Don't remind me," she muttered. "I have so many things that I have to finish. I'll be so glad when it's all over."

He paused to take another hit of his joint.

"You'll do great," he said with a yawn. "I'm gonna get off the phone because I'm tired, and my flight leaves in 5 hours. So I need a nap. I love you, I'll see you tomorrow."

"I love you, too," she smiled. "Goodnight, baby," she said before hanging up the phone. "UUUUGGGGH, how cute is he?!"

I laughed as I exited out of Avid, putting my phone charger in my bag before turning to look at her.

"It's cute that he's taking you on a little trip," I smiled. "I haven't been to St. Louis since I almost hooked up with Gerald that night."

"What are you gonna do while I'm gone?" She asked. "Surely not edit the whole two-day break."

I shook my head as I stood up, shutting off the light as we walked out of the editing bay.

"Nah," I paused, getting my keys out to lock up the studio. "I'm gonna shoot Gerald's interview and then probably take a lot of naps to catch up on my sleep," I laughed as we walked out, starting the walk back to our dorm.

"Hopefully not with him," Kaitlyn said as she looked at me. "Right?"

I stuck my tongue out with a laugh, shaking my head.

"No, definitely not with Gerald," I said as I looked at her. "I think we're better off as whatever we are right now."