Chapter 7: The Show Must Go On

September 2nd, 2016

10:30 P.M.

Camila

My mom was holding me tight to her chest, stroking the back of my head as my tears stained her blouse.

"Ya esta, hija. No llores mas. Todo está bien (That's enough. Stop crying. Everything's ok)." my mother spoke in a comforting tone.

I didn't have it in me to respond. All I could do was let the sobbing die down. The worst part about it all was the she had no idea why I was so upset, as usual, and yet she was still being the incredible mother that she was. I loved her so much, but I wasn't ready to talk about it.

"Camila?" that familiar, raspy voice appeared from the other side of the tour bus curtain.

I saw the a bit of movement behind the velvet cloth and I imagined her soft hands grazing the curtain, as if she were trying to feel me through the material. I didn't know if I could deal with her right now, but then I thought back to that moment when she had calmed me down after a panic attack in the bathroom. Maybe I needed her even though I had practically spent the past four years of my life trying not to.

"Entra, hija (Come in)." my mom made the decision for me.

Lauren slid the thick curtain to one side and revealed those piercing green eyes to me. I could only imagine how terrible mine must have looked in that moment; holes of darkness, mascara running down my cheeks, smudged eyeliner. I probably looked like a demented raccoon, and there she was, looking absolutely stunning, still in her tour outfit. She must've run over to the bus as soon as she could once the show ended.

To backtrack a bit, we were in St.Louis, Missouri, performing another show on our 7/27 tour that night. I was trying my absolute hardest to give my all for the fans, but a little over halfway through the show, I just couldn't do it anymore.

My anxiety took over unexpectedly and I was ushered back to the tour bus after they tried to rally me backstage for a few minutes. I just needed to find a place of comfort, which, thankfully, I was always able to find with my mom. The two of us hadn't been alone in the bus very long before Lauren entered, so I was still sort of a mess.

Lauren made her way over to us as we sat on my mother's bed, her black, heeled boots clacking on the floor the entire way over

Lauren made her way over to us as we sat on my mother's bed, her black, heeled boots clacking on the floor the entire way over. Once she reached us, she crouched down so that she was closer to my eye level and placed a caring hand on my knee. I didn't want her to see me like this, but I couldn't look away from her.

"Are you ok?" were the first words that she addressed to me.

"Peachy." I answered sarcastically.

I watched a smile slowly appear on Lauren's face while I felt the corners of my mouth rising as well. We both chuckled softly although I was still struggling to breathe. Her thumb began lightly caressing my kneecap just before she turned to look at my mom.