Chapter 28: Telephone

A/N: This chapter might be a bit confusing so here's a hint: Miami is 3 hours ahead of L.A.. In other words, when it's 11:30 P.M. in Miami, it's 8:30 P.M. in L.A.

June 12th, 2017

11:30 P.M. (in Miami)

Lauren

I was in Miami

I was in Miami. I was alone. I was drunk. I was losing my shit.

I had spent the past few days surrounded by friends and family but now I was left at home alone with a bottle of wine; left alone with thoughts of Camila. I only had Dash and little Leo to keep me company, but all the latter was doing was making me think of her.

Of course I had to pick out the dog who had the same name as Camila's. He was just so cute and I couldn't resist. Maybe some part of me chose him on purpose, as a sort of twisted way to stay connected to Camila. My subconscious never let me forget how much I missed her, especially not when I was drunk.

And boy was I downing this bottle of wine. I stared over at Leo laying on the other end of the couch. He blinked back at me with those adorable puppy eyes and I couldn't help the goofy smile that appeared on my face.

"You're the cutest thing in the whole world. Did you know that?" I whispered to him in my baby voice.

Suddenly, I heard my other dog, Dash, release an aggressive bark from his small bed in the corner of the living room. I turned my attention to him, giggling.

"You too, baby.", I called out to him, "You've just got a few more years on Leo, here."

Dash seemed unamused by my attempt at an apology as he spun away from me and faced the opposite wall. The small dachshund curled up into a ball, effectively ending our 'conversation'.

I turned back to Leo who was still staring at me. I picked up my glass of wine and took another sip, looking back at the curious dog the entire time. I let the dark, bittersweet liquid taint my teeth and tongue as it made its way down my throat. I tasted the substance on my purple lips before speaking to Leo again.

"I should call her, shouldn't I?" I basically whispered.

Leo blinked. My drunk ass took that as a yes.

I quickly fumbled around in search of my phone, finally finding it slightly wedged between the couch cushions. It had been long enough, I told myself. I needed to talk to her, to just hear her voice saying anything other than her lyrics that continued to plague my mind endlessly.

I quickly rushed to my contacts and found her name. Even just those letters on the screen invoked something in me. I took a deep breath, tapped the screen, downed the rest of my wine, and held the phone up to my ear.

................................................................

8:50 P.M. (in L.A)

Camila