Chapter 25: Let's Talk

April 26th, 2017

Lauren

3:00 P.M.

"Hi." I said as I approached the tall Polynesian leaning over the balcony railing.

Dinah simply turned her head towards my direction and flashed me a weak smile before returning her gaze to the view in front of us. Our studio in L.A. this time around was one of my favorites so far. It included a breathtakingly beautiful view of some of California's most stunning mountain ranges. Needless to say, it was a great location to draw musical inspiration from. However, we were on a half hour break, and I was going to use my time for something different.

"Gorgeous, right?" I asked as I looked out at the creation in front of us.

"Yeah.", Dinah breathed, "I love it."

"You seem pensive."

"Yeah, well, it happens when you're sitting in a booth all day writing about feelings."

"What feelings are you feeling right now?"

"Just...feelings."

She turned to me and gave me another soft smile. I knew that she didn't exactly want to talk to me and I knew why. It had been about a week since I told her that Ty and I kissed during Coachella weekend, and only a few days since all of the crazy rumors and backlash started. She had tried to play it off like she didn't care, but I knew that it was bothering her. I could feel the invisible barrier that had sprung up between us, and I was so ready to tear it down. There wasn't supposed to be any drama in Fifth Harmony anymore.

"Dinah..." I began.

"If this is about Ty again, it's ok.", she interrupted, looking away from me again, "We don't have to talk about it."

"I just—"

"Lo, whatever's happening is your business. You don't owe me anything. It's not like I had any claim on him or anything."

"I'm not doing this because I feel guilty or think that I owe you. I'm well aware that I don't."

She winced. Maybe I needed to start a little less harshly.

"I'm just saying that I don't want us to be weird. I had enough of that shit with Camila. I just want to have a mature conversation about this." I tried.

"What's the point? It's not like you're going to stop seeing him. Not that I would ask you to." she replied.

"I...Dinah, I don't even know what this is. I'm not...seeing him."

"Not yet."

"I don't know. I just don't know and I wish everybody would just chill the fuck out for a second."

Dinah flashed me a serious look before returning to her new hobby of avoiding my eye contact.

"I'm sorry.", I sighed, "That wasn't aimed at you. You have every right to feel the way you do."

"I don't." she scoffed.

"Dinah—"

"Lauren, I want you to be happy.", she cut me off, finally looking at me again, "I'm not doing this to hold a grudge or be dramatic. We're all done with that. I just need a little time to get used to it, ok?"

"I'm just saying there's nothing to get used to right now."

"Well maybe I'm preparing myself for when there is."

"Please don't tell me preparing entails us being weird and distant and you being sad. I don't want that. It's not worth it."

"Oh my gosh, chill. We'll be fine."