Chapter 21: Its Not A Date

March 3rd, 2017

9:00 P.M.

Camila

I never realized what my perfect birthday was until this year. I didn't have some insane party or go out clubbing or drink myself to death like most people my age probably did on their birthdays. Instead, the night before my birthday I had a small celebration at the studio with a bunch of my friends and people I had been working with, who were basically becoming like family now.

 Instead, the night before my birthday I had a small celebration at the studio with a bunch of my friends and people I had been working with, who were basically becoming like family now

However, I did stay up extremely late, to help me fall into a fun birthday stereotype, but I wasn't exactly doing something people would consider 'fun'. I was simply laying in my bed listening to, and crying to, Ed Sheeran's new album, which just happened to come out on my birthday because the universe fucking loves me.

After going to sleep around 5 in the morning, I was lucky enough to have a completely lazy day for the first time in a while

After going to sleep around 5 in the morning, I was lucky enough to have a completely lazy day for the first time in a while. I had been working in the studio for weeks straight, especially nonstop since my encounter with Lauren, and I hadn't stepped back to realize that a break was much needed. The entire day had just been me chilling, listening to music, talking to my mom, and getting dozens of birthday messages. I was pleasantly surprised to get messages from Ally, Normani, and Dinah.

A: Happy birthday Camila!! I hope you have a great one💓💓

N: Happy 20th Camila! Don't go out and buy any drinks just yet😉 have a good one!

D: CAMILA!!! You finally left the teens that's crazy😱😱 Happy birthday have an amazing one🤗❤️

These messages meant more to me than they could ever understand. They literally could've just sent me 'happy birthday' and I would've been ecstatic. Dinah's especially brought a smile to my face. Even though it was still hard to accept that we were on the path to not being friends anymore, it was good to know that we could still be cordial and care about each other. Then again, she had blown up at me because of Lauren. Maybe if she knew that we were done she would be willing to try...

I waved the thought away, trying to focus on Shawn's words. I shouldn't be looking for anything or anyone, even if it was just a friendship. I needed to focus on my craft and focus on the people who already loved and cared about me. There was no room for toxic energy anymore.