Chapter 50: Coming Home

PART 6

August 30th, 2018

8:00 P.M.

Camila

I had been putting it off the past few days. I knew that Roger would sympathize with me and be happy for me, but, in the end, he needed to do his job and this was definitely not going to make it easy for him. I was terrified of what would happen, but, at the same time, there was no doubt in my mind that I was going to do it.

Because Lauren and I were back. We were back like never before, and nothing and nobody was going to mess that up. I was prepared to go in there and basically tell Roger that this was happening, not ask, and then let him take the information however he wanted. My mom had even coached me through it a few times, pretending to be Roger so that I could practice what I would say to him.

Ah, yes, my mother, my birth giver, my best friend, the light of my life. Of course I had told her about Lauren. First of all, it hadn't been any coincidence that she was out of the house when the green eyed girl had come over. She knew this was happening before it happened.

Secondly, the minute Lauren had left, I had texted my mom to come back so that I could tell her absolutely everything. I thought back to the time where I had kept this part of me from her for so long...it was so incredible to be past all that; to be past the insecurities and the stress and the odd barrier my mother and I had for a while there. I couldn't stand that.

Now, she was standing by my side, fully supporting my getting back together with Lauren. I honestly thought she would've been more hesitant about the whole situation, but I also knew exactly why she wasn't: she could see how happy I was. My mother knew me better than anyone in the entire world, and it was clear that she could visibly see the effect that Lauren had on me. She wasn't about to disapprove of a love like this.

A love that was pushing me to knock on my managers door right now.

"Hey, kid! To what do I owe this pleasure?" Roger asked as he opened his hotel room door for me.

"Hi, um...I just need to talk to you about something." I said feebly.

"Is everything alright?"

"It is. Can I come in for a sec?"

"Yeah, sure."

Roger stepped aside to let me in and I immediately noticed how neat his room was. He was also still wearing his button down shirt and dress pants, which made me giggle internally. Throughout the entire time I'd known him, I'd only seen him wear a t-shirt and jeans once. This man was his career, which is why I knew how difficult this would be.

"So, what's up? You can take a seat at the desk, if you want." he said, motioning towards the wooden chair.

"So...remember how I flipped out at you about telling Matthew I was gay?" I began as I sat down.

"Yeah..."

"Well, I'm sorry about that. I wasn't really upset about that. I mean, I sort of was but...I've just been going through something these past few months and...I guess that frustrated me more than it should've, in the moment."

"Oh, don't worry about that. That was my fault entirely. I told you we'd communicate more now so that there are no more surprises or misconceptions between us. It's all good, C."

"Exactly...so, like, in the spirit of open communication and all that...I have to tell you something that...you probably won't like."

Roger simply stared back at me, unblinking, his lips now pressed into a firm line. I needed to keep going before I chickened out.