Chapter 57: Girls Interrupted

PART 7

October 26th, 2018

5:00 P.M.

Camila

"Hi, babe." her raspy voice rang out through the phone.

"Hiiii." I replied somewhat half-heartedly.

"How are you?"

"Fine. How are you, baby?"

"You don't sound totally fine."

"I am."

"Are you as fine as you look?"

"Yeah, I guess so.", I scoffed, "Since apparently I look fat and ugly."

"Woah, woah, what is happening?"

"Ugh, nothing, Lauren. Just social media being mean, again."

"People are calling you fat and ugly?" she said, shock present in her tone.

"Might as well be."

"Baby, what's going on?"

I sighed heavily and plopped down onto my bed, focusing my eyes on the ceiling above me.

"Does my body seem...different to you?" I asked.

"Different? Camila, I-" she began.

"Have I gained weight?" I interrupted, skipping straight to the point.

"Like...since I've known you?"

I furrowed my brow, my eyes widening as I sat up in my bed.

"Lauren, you're supposed to say no right away!" I whined.

"No I'm not." she responded.

"You're not?"

"I'm supposed to be honest with you."

"Little white lies exist for a reason, Lauren!"

"You know what line really sticks out to me in 'Consequences'?"

"Do not try and change the subject."

"The line where you say 'lost a little weight because I wasn't eating'."

My mouth shut into a firm line as I let her words sink in. Maybe she wasn't changing the subject?

"Huh?" I asked.

"That line fucking breaks my heart every time, Camila.", she said sternly, "I don't want you not eating or losing sleep or living anything other than the healthiest lifestyle you can live."

"But-"

"So, yes, you've gained weight. You've gained weight because you're actually eating and living and just fucking being, babe. You're healthy and happy and beautiful, and that's all that you should be focused on."

I couldn't fight the smile growing on my face. How did she do that? How did she make all of my insecurities melt away in the blink of an eye; without even denying that I had gained weight?

"Lauren..." I began, not even sure how to thank her.

"Also, for the record, this isn't even something I noticed.", she said, cutting me off again, "Only that fucking line in your song made me notice it, and only in the best way possible...because you're back to you, babe. You're not fat and you're certainly not ugly. Jesus. I can't even believe you thought that for a second."

"Well, people thought I was pregnant!"