Chapter 53: Unstoppable

October 3rd, 2018

6:00 P.M.

Lauren

"You know what I find funny?" Camila asked me

"What's that, babe?" I answered, holding my phone between my shoulder and my ear.

"The fact that I'm going into the 'Consequences' era after I get back together with you."

"Yeah.", I chuckled, "Doesn't make the song any less amazing, though."

"You're amazing."

"Baby, could you hold on a second?"

"Sure."

I removed the phone from my ear to look down at my phone screen, praying that the incessant buzzing would stop. I rolled my eyes when I saw Tara's name popping up for the millionth time in the past hour.

T: I'm gonna need the green light here or I'm just gonna go for it

T: Lauren?

T: Sorry this is annoying af but it has to be done

Just when I was about to type out an answer, the oven timer went off. I quickly placed my phone down on the counter and rushed to get my plantains out of the oven. God, I felt like everything was suddenly going a mile a minute.

Once I had set the plantains aside, I quickly tapped away a response to Tara before placing the phone by my ear again.

"Hey. Sorry." I said.

"Is everything ok?" Camila asked.

"Yeah. I'm just-ow!"

I was cut off by a rather aggressive sizzle from the pan on the stove, along with a burning drop of oil landing directly on my bare forearm.

"Lauren?" Camila spoke up again, her voice dripping with concern this time.

"I'm here. Jesus, cooking sucks sometimes." I said as I moved to lower the heat.

"This is why I stay away from it."

"Is it because cooking sucks or because you suck at cooking?" I teased.

"Probably a mixture of both, honestly. Maybe I suck because I know it sucks, so I don't want to put in the effort to get good at it."

"It doesn't always suck. I find it relaxing most of the time."

"So why do you seem so stressed out?"

"It's less the cooking and more the..."

I stopped myself, unsure if I wanted to involve Camila in this. All talking about Ty did was bring both of our moods down, so what was the point?

"What's going on, babe?" she urged me on.

"Just more Ty bullshit. Don't worry about it." I sighed.