Chapter 59: Paranoid

November 17th, 2018

1:00 A.M.

Camila

"Baby, it's ok. It's ok." I said softly.

I held Lauren in my arms, her head buried into my chest as she cried her eyes out. The cool ocean breeze ruffled our hair as we huddled for warmth and dug our toes deeper into the sand beneath us. I used my hands to scratch lightly at her back and scalp, trying my best to calm her down.

I had to admit, I was terrified. It wasn't very often that I had to console Lauren in this state, and I was scared that I wouldn't be able to do it successfully. Her tears just kept on flowing and flowing into my shirt like they would never end.

How the heck did we get into this position? Well, to be perfectly honest, I wasn't entirely sure myself. I had been trying to piece together all of the evidence from the past few days to figure out what exactly had gotten into my girlfriend, but all I had was what I had experienced up until this point...

..............................................................

November 14th, 2018

2:00 P.M.

Camila

L: Ok

Finally. I had texted Lauren three hours earlier letting her know that Sofi and I would be staying in Orlando one extra day but she had taken forever to get back to me. I realize three hours isn't exactly 'forever', but, with Lauren being on break, I found it strange that she hadn't responded more quickly...and that she had responded with that.

C: Can I call?

L: Sure

I furrowed my brow. I already knew something was off, and I planned on getting to the bottom of it immediately.

"Sof, I'm going to go call Lauren really quick and then we'll go, ok?" I said to my sister who was lying next to me on our hotel room bed.

"Ok." she giggled.

"Why is that funny?" I grinned.

"I just love that you and Lauren are friends again. It's still a little weird, but I like it."

I smiled before placing a quick kiss on my sister's head.

"I like it, too, princess.", I said, "I'll be back."

"Tell her I say hi!" she called out just before I disappeared out onto the balcony.

"Ok." I laughed, shutting the sliding door behind me.

I grinned the second I felt the warm Florida air on my cheeks and slowly made my way towards the railing. I wished that Lauren could be there with me in that moment, but calling her was the closest I could get right now. I pulled my phone out and waited for her to answer.

"Hello?" her raspy voice rang out.

"Hiii." I answered.

"What's up?"

My smile faltered a bit.

"What's up with you? Where have you been?" I asked.

"What do you mean?" she returned.

"I texted you hours ago."

"Well, yeah I just figured you'd be busy. Your text didn't really require a response."

I furrowed my brow in response. She sounded...almost angry at me.

"I feel like most texts require a response." I said.