Chapter 19: The Aftermath

PART 3

February 13th, 2017

8:00 A.M.

Camila

I was unexpectedly pulled out of my slumber by slow movements next to me. As I struggled to open my eyes and take in my surroundings, I began to panic. For a split second, I didn't understand who could possibly be in bed with me, but the second I inhaled her shampoo, everything came back to me. The image of Lauren gradually focused in. I admired her bare back as she sat up on the side of the bed.

"Good morning." I rasped, my tired voice barely breaking through.

"Maybe for you. Fuck, my head hurts." she grumbled.

I couldn't help but smile. Hearing her voice was the best feeling in the entire world, even if she was complaining about a hangover.

"I think I have some Advil in my purse if you want some." I offered.

"It's, um...it's ok.", she replied, "I should get going."

"What?" I asked, lifting my head off the pillow.

"I need to go."

"Where? Why?"

"Everyone's probably flipping out. I need to get back."

With that, Lauren planted her feet on the ground and started walking around the room, collecting her garments of clothing. I propped myself up on my elbow as I watched her, suddenly wide awake. Was she seriously just going to leave?

"Just text them." I suggested.

"I will, trust me." she said as she began putting her underwear back on.

"Lauren, what are you doing?"

"What does it look like?" she asked, avoiding my eye contact.

"That's not an answer."

"I'm leaving, Camila. I already said that."

"Are you being serious right now?"

Lauren simply looked up at me and stopped what she was doing. I could feel her gaze burning through me. There was that fire of hers, but I wasn't sure why it was there. She was definitely serious.

"What the fuck are you doing?" I asked, feeling myself growing angry with her.

"How many times are you going to ask that?" she said, now continuing to find her clothes.

"Until you give me an answer." I spat as I ripped the covers off of my body.

Lauren's head immediately snapped in my direction. I got up from the bed and made my way over to her, not even caring about the fact that I was completely naked and that she was now only in a small pair of panties. I stopped a foot in front of her and just stared her down, letting her know that I was waiting for an explanation.

After an excruciatingly long silence, she finally whispered, "Camila, I need to go now."

"Lauren, stop.", I begged as I grabbed her face, "Stop. Why are you...what..."

"Camila..." she said, placing her hands on mine.

"No, Lauren. No. What are you doing?"

My question came out desperate this time. I was trembling now, fighting back tears. Lauren's eyes began to water as well.

"I...I told you last night..." she stuttered.

"No. You didn't mean it." I said.

"I did."