Chapter 1 (Yin)

I follow a certain order to my life.

Like a clock; doing things in routine with a predetermined schedule in a sure and steady pace.

My best friend is my wrist watch given to me by my father, the one who thought me to do things efficiently and, as much as possible, independently.

I follow the hours, minutes and seconds as I go about my days, never deviating from my routine.

...

Until the day my mother left.

-~*~*~*~-

I stand quietly as the bus drove away, glancing around the unfamiliar urban landscape. My expression was calm with hints of wonder. The air felt clean as this city was close to the countryside. There were also a scarce amount of people walking around as compared to the big city I used to live in. It felt freer.

A woman stands up from an old bench under a tree next to the bus station.

"You must be, Yin. Your mother has told me so much about you" I follow the sound of her voice and see a woman in her early 30's walking towards me. Her smile was friendly and welcoming.

"Hello" I greet her politely before asking curiously, "Are you Mrs. Sun?" I recognized the curly platinum blonde hair of my mother's best friend from my childhood memories.

"That's right. My son and I came to pick you up" she looks a bit behind her where a tall handsome youth was standing there, "Go on, Yang. Introduce yourself and help carry her bags"

He walks forward and smiles, "I'm Yang. It's nice to meet you" he lifts his hand up for a shake.

I readjust my big backpack filled with my scarce amount of clothes and personal items, take his hand and say politely, "Yin. Please take care of me from now on"

...

I wake up on my alarm clock's second ring. The 1st was 5 minutes earlier so it is now 7:05 AM.

I get up, wash, change into my school uniform and go downstairs to cook breakfast.

Food varies but all are cooked precisely on time and never a second too late before everyone appears.

I sit down after setting up the food and table.

I stare at the beige walls just as I hear footsteps from the stairs. I wait silently, my back straight and my hands flat as they rested on the table.

A tall, handsome young man walks into the dining hall and I stand up to greet him, "Good morning"

At the lack of other people aside from him entering the dining room, I was confused but realized belatedly that it was only just the 2 of us from now on.

Yang looks up and smiles warmly, "Good morning" before his expression turns whimsical upon seeing the table set for 5 people, "Did you forget that my parents and younger brother moved away yesterday?"

I glance at the table, hiding my embarrassment as I slowly put the 3 other sets of cutlery away, "I'm sorry. I forgot"

Yang sits down and when I finish putting the extra plates away, we begin eating.