Chapter 20 (Yang)

School was ending soon when I realized my feelings for Yin.

I cherished her, adored her and wanted to be part of her life even when I graduated. I wanted to build a future with her where we'll grow old together and retire in a peaceful rural neighborhood.

How would she feel when I confessed? Would she be shocked? Happy? Uncertain? Would she reject me?

My heart twisted at the thought but I dismissed it immediately.

Even if Yin were to reject me, I'll still keep trying. I have 4 years to keep trying and persuading her.

I know she'll come to love me back too.

I thought once offhandedly that maybe I was using Yin as an escape from the heartache Trisha had brought and for a while I thought this was true.

But I knew my feelings didn't start after what happened with Trisha but instead began when my father was scolding me, my heart warmed at her presence and support. My feelings growing without my notice.

As weeks passed, my love for Yin only grew steadily each day. Every time I saw her it felt like all my stress that had built up that day would be washed away and I unconsciously anticipated her every visit to my room like a child waiting for his favorite candy.

My feelings for Yin were also deeper than for Trisha's. I loathe the latter for leading me on and using my feelings so she could take advantage of my brains but even without that, my feelings of like died too quickly.

Maybe I unconsciously knew that Trisha was fake which lowered my desire for her so when she said those cutting remarks, it hurt less than I expected.

But if Yin were to betray me like that? ... I refuse to think about it.

...

"Your finals are coming up, Yang" my father told me casually as we sat in the dining room. My mother and Yin were busy washing the dishes in the kitchen.

"Yes" I sat stiffly on my chair. Unsure why he had held me back after dinner.

"How are your studies?"

He went on to ask how my performance was, my environment and that I should keep working hard to prepare for the future. I answered all his questions calmly, and nodded in understanding for others.

"Are you doing well with your preparations for the college entrance exam?"

"Yes, my review school is being thorough with our lectures and discussions"

My father had strictly wanted me to enter my school's collegiate department but the exams were known to be difficult so I had been going to an after school review center in the weekends.

My father nodded in satisfaction, "So you'll be in college soon. Time does fly quickly. My college days before were filled with fun and frequent trips with my school buddies"

I stayed silent, wondering where he would take this.

"You may think you can do whatever you please because you don't have any adults to watch over you. You are grown up now, it's your right to go out and have fun" he said with a laugh and I could only smile awkwardly.

My mother and Yin took this time to exit the kitchen and excuse themselves to the living room. Yin looked at me a second longer than usual, probably wondering why I was still seated there. I smiled to reassure her, happy she was concerned about me.

When they were gone, my father continued in a stricter voice, "Fun can come with consequences, Yang. Some heavier than others. I can allow drinking, staying out late and roughhousing as long as you're not breaking any laws but I won't allow you to have a relationship with anyone"

My back stiffened but I suppressed the reaction from showing on my face, continuing to look serene while I felt like my world was shattering around me.

I wanted to refute but couldn't bring myself to do so, afraid he'll catch on that I did have someone in mind and she lived with us.

"We're men, son and I know we have our needs. I was a teenager myself once a long time ago and you can't risk the temptation. I don't want a single night ruining your future. Do you understand?"

I nodded, my insides felt like they had died, "I understand, father"

He told me a few more advices and let me go. I stared at the floor when I entered my room. The happy visions of my relationship with Yin as I went to college and she went to high school, shattered before me.

My greatest happiness was within my grasp and I wasn't even able to touch it. The door slammed harshly on my face.

A knock brought me from my thoughts and I saw Yin standing outside.

"Is everything okay? Uncle looked serious" she asked in concern.

I stared at her blankly. From her beautiful long hair, pretty face and pale skin, I could reach out and she'd be mine.

I contemplated running away with her. Running so far that our parents couldn't reach us. But how far can we go? Yin was only 13 and I was 16. Won't people think I was kidnapping her?

Should we keep it a secret? No, Yin doesn't deserve that and I'll constantly be looking behind my back, wondering when we'll be found out.

No. There's no way for this to happen. There's no hope for us.

"Yang!" she called loudly, snapping me from my thoughts. Her face containing sadness.

I smiled automatically to reassure her, recalling her question, "It was nothing, Yin. My father just wanted me to do well for my final exams and the school entrance exam"

Her expression didn't change as if she didn't believe my words. Of course, she was right and that was the farthest thing I was concerned about but I couldn't tell her the truth.

When I spoke no further, she nodded, "I'm sure you'll do well, Yang. Just try your best and take care of yourself" she said with a smile.

I nodded at her, treasuring the sight of the smile on her face. Yin seldom smiled since she was a silent and stoic girl.

She was showing this rare smile to me. It significantly lightened my mood.

When Yin said good night and walked away. I came to accept reality. I would hide my feelings and make sure nobody would ever know, not even her. This was the best I can do because if my father found out, it'll also implicate Yin. He might even ask her to move away.

She already had nowhere to go with her father gone and her mother abroad. I didn't want to take this place away from her and I especially didn't want to separate from her even if we had no future.

I lay on my bed lazily, not in the mood to study as my thoughts swirled.

The future? If I can't be with Yin in college then what about in the future? When I graduate, I'll be allowed to make my own decisions, right? When I graduate, they can't say no to my relationship with Yin.

My mood soared and I was thrilled at realizing this. Being together with Yin wasn't hopeless after all. It'll only take 4 years but that's okay, as long as Yin was at the end of that 4 years.

As long as we'll be together, I can wait.

I can wait as long as it takes.