Chapter 12 (Yin)

Yang kept true to his promise to bring me home from school. We always text each other to make sure he knows when I'll be out.

I once asked him to go ahead of me since I still needed to do some things after class but he decided to wait in campus and we went home together.

"So Yin, I've been seeing you walk home with a guy from school. Is he the guy you were in love with with?" Nina asked me as I was standing up to go to our next class.

I was so surprised, my foot ended up hooking on the chair leg and I tumbled forward, catching myself against the chair in front of me.

"Oooh. It's true. What's his name? We thought you didn't have a boyfriend?" Lyka fired after, gushing in excitement, "We actually thought it was Gavin at 1st and you didn't want to tell us but then he moved away and you didn't even get upset"

I almost fell over again at the mention of him. I did cry because of him but it wasn't because of the reason they're thinking about.

"Gavin was just a (former) friend and the guy I was with is not my boyfriend" I said as I righted myself. Yang and I wouldn't be noticed if we walked to school since we always separated before reaching any of our department's gates but since Yang started waiting for me outside my gate, people I knew were bound to notice us.

"Soon-to-be?"

"No" I denied. Not now and not ever. My heart twisted painfully at the thought.

"But is he the one you like?" Nina asked tentatively and I looked at them then bowed my head and picked up my bag, nodding.

They squealed in delight and asked me all sorts of questions as we walked to our next class.

"What do you like most about him?"

"Well he's nice, funny, smart, good looking, and I mean, you know, the type that any girl would like upon seeing him"

"You're joking. I didn't see him since I only saw his back but is he really that good looking? Do you have a picture? Is he in our year? He wasn't wearing our uniform though"

I hesitated about showing them Yang's picture. I did have one on my phone which I secretly took when he was studying at home but would it be okay to tell them?

Yang was popular in his college and people sometimes hear about him in our high school too. Does Nina and Lyka know him? And if they did, won't they ask why he always takes me home when we're not together or related?

I can't tell them I live with him. I've never announced in this 5 years that I lived with Yang. In the past it wouldn't have mattered even if they knew but now that I was living with him alone and that I liked him, wouldn't people think we're up to something? Wouldn't that also ruin Yang's reputation?

I also remember Gavin, the only one I trusted enough to share these things to but he was only using me.

Can I trust these 2?

I shook my head, "No, he's not in our year and I don't have a photo of him. I can't ask for one since we're not that close"

"But he walks you from school. Aren't you at least friends?"

"Acquaintances. My mom and his mom are best friends and we live in the same street so he walks me back when he's not busy" I answer as I look ahead, afraid my face would falter and tip off the lie.

"He sounds like a really nice acquaintance" Lyka teased and I blushed which made the 3 of us laugh.

"Since you're not close, why not try to get closer to him? You know, talk to him about his interest, hang out with him" Nina suggested and I wanted to laugh again. We lived together and saw each other everyday, how much closer do we need to be?

Sadly it's not a question of how close we are but how Yang sees me. To him I'm probably just a little sister or someone he needs to take care of for his parents' sake.

I shook my head, "It's not going to work out. I know he doesn't see me in that way. I'm like his little sister or annoying female cousin"

"Then make him see you in that way. That you're a woman that's interested in him"

I hesitated but couldn't help but ask, "How? Should I confess?" even the thought of it made my cheeks warm.

"A confession will only flatter him since he'll think you only admire him. You have to kiss him, Yin"

My eyes widened, "Kiss?" Me kiss Yang? Huh? What?!

The image of it came to mind and I wanted to faint. My face becoming red up to my ears.

"I-I-I can't..."

"Just try it! Even if he responds negatively, you can just make it like you tripped or it was an accident" Nina supplied but it did not help me warm up to the idea even a bit.

"But-but-"

"Do you want to make him like you?"

I paused, remembering my promise to myself to never let him know my feelings, but despite my better judgement, I nodded my head.

"Then you have to do it" Lyka patted my back in support.

"Go get 'em, girl" Nina said as she nodded. Their support made me feel a little braver.

Although as soon as school ended I started feeling doubtful of this method. At worst, Yang would be disgusted and never talk to me.

The thought of having to live with him until graduation without ever speaking to each other and pretending the other doesn't exist made me feel like crying. But if I don't do this I'll never know if Yang might come to like me too.

My head was in a mess when Yang texted me that he'll be out late so he asked me if I wanted to go home by myself. I declined and told him I'll wait outside his school gate which he replied with a smiley face.

I sat down on an empty bench that had a good view of the college gate. My thoughts ran back to the plan and I became flustered as I took out my notebook to read and distract myself. It was even more awkward since I was surrounded by so many college students, some looking my way due to my uniform since they weren't required to wear one. But after a while, I zoned out as I continued to read.

Time passed as I waited.