I Can't

~Chapter Forty-Seven~

<Chris Brady> "I got it! I got it Chris!" Freya screamed through the phone. "Wake up! I said I got it." she screamed again and I sat up on the bed. I yawned and wiped my face with my hand. "Chris, wake up. I got the location dumbass. Can you hear me?"

"Yes. Speak up."

"I let my brother follow Dave. I didn't tell him what's going on. I just told him he's cheating on me and I had to know who's he's been meeting. It's an old house. Probably one of the Miller properties." I picked up my shirt from the chair and walked out of the room. "Dave isn't answering my calls so I'm guessing he's still there. Should we go there too?"

"I'm going alone."

"Hey, that's not fair. We're in this together, you promised." she screetched and I covered my ears. I stepped to the hall and saw Lana come out of the kitchen. She had in her hand, a wine bottle and a glass. "Are we going together or not?"

"Wait,"

"Are you stepping out?" Lana asked and filled her glass with wine. I took the phone from my ear and smiled at her.

"I'm meeting a friend. Do you need something when I'm coming back?"

"No, I just need this body for the night. Keep it safe for me." she smiled back and grew kisses on my lips. "Don't keep long."

"I won't." she pecked me and I stepped out of the house. I put the phone back on my ear.

"Eeeewwwwwww!" Freya laughed. "Don't let the bitch touch you Chris. It's very upsetting."

"It's upsetting for me too." I sighed. I put my hand in my pocket and I forgot to pick up my car key. I went back to the house and Lana was already making a call inside the bedroom.

"Dave I swear to God," she grunted. "Just one more month." she begged on the phone. I opened the door and she gasped.

"Left my key." I smiled and she smiled nervously. "Go ahead. I'm leaving." she
nodded. I picked up the car key from the chair and stepped out of the room again.

The doorknob squeaked and she locked the door. "Why are you getting on my nerves? What do you want from me? Tell me and I'll do anything." she said quietly. "Don't hang up. Please Dave." I shook my head and left.

~I picked Freya up and she was dressed up in a red leather jacket and a jean. She lay her hair on her shoulders and put on a red lipstick. "Care to explain your style of dressing?"

"It's called fashion sense. Let's go." she relaxed in the chair. "Shouldn't we take cops along?"

"It'll be messy. I can handle this."

"I know you can, big boy. I'm talking about my safety. Who's going to protect me when you're kicking some ass?"

"Your boyfriend won't punch you."

"You're right." she laughed.

We arrived at the old house and Freya stepped out of it. It was an old house at the far end of the town. Bushes were surrounded by this house and we could hear only the sound of crickets. There should be a car parked here and not even a bicycle was here. "This is weird." Freya said. I looked around us and the whole place had gotten dark. We turned on the flashlights on our phones and headed inside the house.

"Are you sure we're at the right place?"

"I'm damn sure." Dust got caught in my lungs and I coughed it out. "This place stinks." she covered her nose. We stood inside the empty house, filled with dust, cobwebs and a big hallway. "Should we part ways?"