10

Jamar's pov

I finally get my first phone call. I already know who I'm calling.
"Hello?"

"Jamar?"

"Joaquin." I rest my head on the telephone booth "wassup lil man?"

"Hey. Why haven't you been home? It's been 3 months."

"Look Im in Trinity-"

"Prison? How?"

"Look-"

"You know Imma be put in a foster care if I don't find somewhere to live Jamar." I feel the blood leave me body.

"Imma figure something out."

"How? You can't. I tried everyone. Everything. I even went to Theo- did you know he was shot-"

"Look you gone be good, you hear me?"

"I've been staying with mom this past week. I'm sick of sleeping over my friend's houses."

"NO! Joaquin you ain't staying there."

"Until you find me somewhere else I'm staying right here."

"Stay away from her you hear me. She lied to us. Jamil is in Trinity."

"Jamil is there too?"

"Yes but this is ain't the life bro. It's boring and they fight for nothing."

"Jamil is there too.. no he's in the military." He starts talking to himself. I can hear his voice becoming unsteady. The guard signaled that it was time for the call to end but I wasn't finished. "What am I gonna do?" I can hear he's crying now.

"You gone be good. I love you." I always saying this to him but it was hard for me to say it this time and mean it. Of course I love him but is he really gonna be good?

"I-"the guard took the phone and hung it up. I could've rocked his shit but I know my brother loves me.

I walk to the yard. I sat on the bench and put my head in my hands. So many thoughts going through my head at once. How could I be so stupid?

I felt the bench dip signaling someone was sitting next to me.
"Pick your head up bro."

"I'm not your fucking bro." I keep my head in my hands. I don't have time for this place.

"Talk to me like a fucking man." I look up and it was Jamil.

I sat there stuck and then anger rose inside of me.

"Fuck you."

"Fuck you." He paused "what are you doing here huh?"

"What are you doing here? You've been here this whole time and not one single call? You not my brother."

"We blood. You always gonna be my brother you heard? Imma ask you again; why are you here?"

"Imma say this again; fuck you. Shitty ass brother. Left us with our crack head mother. Didn't do shit for us." I stood up.

"You think you better than me? Look where you at lil bro." J laughs then his jaw tightens.

"Shut the fuck up." His goons started making there way towards the situation and next thing I knew Dusty's crew did the same. J called of his goons and Dusty's backed off too.

"Oh shit you with dusty now?" He laughs.

"I'm with myself. That's it. I'm just tryna do my time okay Jamil. Fuck all this. I gotta take of care Joaquin." He stops me from walking away. His smile faded and his jaw tightened.

"Joaquin.." I pulled away and walked off. This lock up shit ain't for me.