21

"What do you want to do today?" Today is a rare day when I get an off day and it just so happens to be a weekend. So Joaquin is off too.

"I don't know." He shrugs. This kid is impossible. Just as I think I under stand him, I thought wrong. "How's Jamar?"

"Fine." Fine. So fine. I leaned against the counter and rest my chin on my Palm.

"Okay?" He cuts eyes at me. "How's Jamil?"

"He's okay." I shot up and looked at him as if he was speaking a foreign language. "How do you know Jamil?"

"He's my oldest brother." Wait what? Jamar never mentioned anyone but Joaquin. "I haven't seen him since I was 6 though."

"You miss him?"

"I mean yeah. He just disappeared on us. My mom told us he went to the military.." this boy has gone through so much.

"Get your shoes on. Lets go." He just looks at me and arches his brows. "Move it. Let's go." He does what he's told.

We get in the car and drive to the place I didn't want to go on my day off. Work. We pull up to the prison. He leans foreword.

"My brothers are in there?"

"Yes they are." I could tell he was trying to hide his excitement but I was written all over his face. 1 brother he hasn't seen for months and 1 he hasn't seen for years are in the same place.  I pull into the visitors section.

"Listen. You're not with me. You don't know me. I'll be waiting right here when you get back."

"Okay. I can see both of them today?"

"Yes. Good luck." A smile spread across his face and felt a smile grown on mine. He left and ran up into Trinity.

*Joaquin's Pov*

We'll be reunited after so long. I have so many emotions going through me right now.
"Hello. How may I help you?"

"My name is Joaquin and I'm here to see Jamil and Jamar." The Officer seemed a little surprised.

"No parent or guardian with you today?" She asks normally then she question me again. "You said Jamil?"

"Yes."

"Last name?"

"Ryder." She tells me to write my name on a list that had other people's names on it. She explains to me that I will be searched and I'd have to wait to see both.

I sat in a waiting room for about 30 minutes with my leg shaking non stop.
"Joaquin Ryder." I shot up and followed the officer that called my name. I sat in this big room with the walls painted blue.

My leg moved faster than it ever has before. I'm nervous but I'm excited.
The heavy door swung open and Jamar walked through. My heart almost jumped out of my chest. I can tell it did the same for him. They took off his cuffs and sped walk over to me.

"Joaquin." I stood up and gave him a hug. I've never hugged my brother before but now I know he's very muscular.

"No touching." An officer had to ruin the moment. We pulled apart.

"What's been going on? How are you?"

"Way better than before. Lewis actually knows you."

"Yes. How's it been with him?"

"He's cool peoples but I don't know if I can trust him."

"Well you can. Listen baby boy, I'm an inmate. I committed a crime and he still took you in. He's not allowed to do that and he hasn't done it for anyone else."

"Why'd he do it for you?"

"Because he see's me becoming nothing to something and he see your potential too. Give him a chance."

"I will. But I'm gonna look for the rest of my family." Jamar squints and arches his eyebrows at me. "Jamil has a wife and child." Jamar eyes became wide but the expression stayed the same. "Mom kicked him out because of it. I'm gonna find them and stay with them."

"Joaquin no." His voice stern. "Listen to me. Imma always do what's best for you. You understand? You can look for them but stay with Lewis."

"Why? That's family."

"You don't know them. I don't know them. Just do what I say please." If I don't, I wonder what he will do. He's locked up he can't do much. But even when no body was there for me Jamar was. He's always had my back so I'm gonna listen. I nod my head.

"How's school? Be honest."

"All good except for science but it's getting up there though. I used to fall asleep in that class cause I couldn't at moms."

"Okay. But what's going on with you?"

"Man nothing. I just miss you, you know?"

"Yeah. I miss you too. Them phone calls aren't the same as going in your room and bothering you."

"Oh I used to hate that. Ughh." We both laugh.

"Ohh I joined the basketball team."

"Deadass?" I nod. "How's it going?"

"I'm pretty good." He smiles and looks down at the ground. "I'll make sure Lewis comes to my games and tell you about how I shot the winning shot."

"Alright bet."

"Time to wrap it up." The officer says.

"Damn its time to go already." The sadness hit my like car. I felt like crying but I know it's not manly to cry.

"Hey hey chill out. You'll be ok. I'll make sure of it. Just focus on school and lay low. If you do decided to find Jamil's family, let me know everything. I love you. And stop fucking cursing."

"I love you too." We both smile and the officer puts cuffs back on him and he keeps his eyes on me the whole time he's getting pulled away. It was hard to watch but I needed to see it.

I really needed to just talk to him. I really do miss having my brother around but this is reality now. It is what it is.