18

Joaquin's pov

I'm just ready to go to sleep. I've had a long day at school and I just want to forget about it.
"Excuse me." I ignore the little voice. Probably a crackhead asking for money. "Excuse me." I just keep making my wait up the steps of the apartment. "Joaquin." That's me. I stop on the 5th step and turned to look at this small man calling my name. "I'm Lewis. I work at Trinity. Your brother Jamar sent me to come and ask you if you'd like to stay with me?"

"I ain't living with no Fed. Thanks but no thanks."

"Boy, do I look like a police officer. Im a little bit bigger than you and you're 13. Look I work in the infirmary." I turned my whole body around. "Your brother works with me and he told me your situation and I want to help."

"You talk to Jamar."

"Everyday."

"And he told you about me?"

"Yeah. He loves you and he wants you to be safe but of course you know that."

"No thank you."

"Look... just stay with me for the rest of this month and see how you like it. If you don't like it, you can leave." That wouldn't hurt. He could be a strange man but he knows Jamar.

"I'll come with you." I got to get my stuff. I run up the stairs and in the apartment. I wasted no time throwing my things into trash bags and taking what was mine.

Before I went back down to where he was, I had to stop and breath.
"I'm ready."I said plainly. I followed him to his car and put my things in the trunk. I sat in the passenger side and he started the car.

"So What's an infirmary?"

"Like the hospital of the prison."

"What? You like a doctor?"

"Yeah. Started as a nurse though."

"A nurse like for women?" Ain't no such thing as nigga nurses.

"Well That's where you're wrong. There are male nurses." I'll believe it when I see it. We sat in silence but it was weird. We were just chillin.

We pull into a McDonald's parking lot. I felt my stomach rumble.
"Okay let's go." He starts to get out the car but I'm not going anywhere cause I ain't got no money. "So you're not hungry?" I just stare at him. "Even if I'm buying."

He shrugs and closes the door. He walks into the restaurant. If he buys me something, that means I'll owe him. But I really im hungry though.

5 minutes goes past. My body is telling me to get out of this car but my mind is telling me that's it's not worth it. I don't know who this man is. He could be lying to me for all I know. I only trust Jamar. Who is this man?

I should run away but my stuff is here. I should leave. Why am I hesitating? Get out. The restaurant door swings open and Lewis comes out with a paper bag.

He gets into the car and turns it back on. The smell my made my stomach growl. I'm really hungry. Last meal I had was school lunch and it wasn't even mine.

5 minutes later and we pull into a quiet, nice neighborhood. I never even knew about this area.

We pull into a driveway and he gets out.
"You coming in this time?" I nod and get out of the car. "Did you want to get your clothes or eat first?"

"But"

"Hurry up and make a move; Your fries are getting cold." My insides became warm and fuzzy at the idea of my first real meal in months. I followed him into the house and he handed me a bag of food in the bag he was carrying.

"Take off you shoes and I'll give you a tour." The big monster looking beast came down the stairs and ran up to Lewis. "Ace!" He smiles. I ran to the nearest couch and stood on it. The beast saw me and stood at my feet wagging his tail. "Ace this is Joaquin. Joaquin this is Ace. He's a big ole baby so don't be afraid Ace."

"Ha Ha very funny. Get it away."

"Pet him first."

"No." It wouldn't move and neither would Lewis. I bent down and touched it's head. Lewis folded his arms. I rubbed his head and the dog closed his eyes. I sat on the couch and continued to pet him.

"That's what I thought." Lewis walked away. "Let me show you your room." I followed him to the room and it was a little bigger than my old room. Bed was made and it was empty. "This is not a hotel so please clean up after yourself. Okay?" I nod my head. I was going to do that regardless. "If you need me, I'll be watching the office."

"The office?" I love that show but I haven't seen it since I moved in with my mom.

"You coming?" I just stare at him and shrug my shoulders. He mimicked my shoulder shrug then walks away.

What have I got to lose? It doesn't hurt to eat and watch a little TV. I slowly follow him to a bigger room with a long couch.

I sit on the opposite end and enjoy my food while watching The Office.