11

Jamar's pov

The infirmary has been a little more empty now that the people from the fight have went back so we get to just sit back and chill for today.

I was walking around around the infirmary just familiarizing myself with the equipment.
"Jamar?" I turn and saw Zion trying to sit him self up. I run over and help me.

"Can you get me some water?"

"Yeah yeah." I ran over to the jug and got him some water in a plastic cup. I gave it to him and he gulped it down. "You want some more?"

"Nah it's good. My throat was just hella dry." We laughed. "Like they been feeding ya boy dust or something."

I look in the direction he was looking at. It was at Lewis.
"Zion. I would feed the dust to you but we ran out." He laughs. My smile fell.

"Yeah okay." Z said leaving Lewis to go back to what he was doing. "Yeah Lew is a cool dude. I really hate how they treat him here."

"What you mean?"

"His coworker" he nods towards Connor "always tryna feel him up and shit. I gotta tell him to stop."

"That's a grown ass man. He can do it himself."

"Lew is too sweet for that. He tries to avoid conflict." I start to feel a little bad cause I thought he liked it. The guilt started to come in so I knew I had to change the conversation.

"Anyways yo you've been missing out."

"Wassup?" I filled him in on everything and he was just as confused as I was. "Why would his goons stand up for you?"

"Man I don't even know what to tell you."

"Damn..well keeps your eyes and ears open."

"Always and you just hurry up and get better stupid."

"Heard you. Now leave me alone." He covered himself and I left him alone. I hesitantly walked over to Lewis and started looking like I was interested in what he was looking at. He notice I was there and stepped away. I felt my arm move and tap his shoulder. He turned.

"Lewis right?" He nods. "I just wanted to say I'm sorry for what I said the last time we spoke." He nods again and tries to walk away.

"I'm Jamar." I hesitated but stuck my hand out.

"Nice to meet you."

"You too. Zion speaks very highly about you."

"That's nice. Yeah he's cool too." He went back to writing on his clip board. I want him to forgive me for what I said.

"You think you can show me around?" He pauses to look around the room then chuckles. "Now I'm free." I smile. I follow him around and he shows me all these weird tubes and machines.

Then we went into a separate room. It was dark but had enough light to see. There was a microscope.
"That guy who keeps throwing up. We- I've been taking samples of his throw up and I'm still trying to figure out what he's sick from.." I look through the lens and these little things started moving around.

"It looks cool though." He laughs.

"It does but there's something wrong so I can't look at it that way."

"I understand." I lean against the counter. "how long have you been working here?"

"About 3 years. I started off an intern and now I'm staff."

"And you've always worked with Connor?" I can see his mood change from happy to sad.

"Yeah." He sighs.

"Why the sigh?" I arch my eyebrows.

"It's a long story. Not even important."

"Well I got time." I look around. "Obviously." I chuckle.

"I didn't even notice."

"See, now you stalling?"

"Who me?" Lewis pretends to gasp and clutch his chest.

"Yeah you. come on." I throw my head back.

"That's a story for another day Jamar. What about you. What did you do to end up in her?"

"Something."

"I understand if you don't want to-"

"Robbery." Usually I feel embarrassed to talk about it. I just feel like an embarrassment.

"Everyone falls on hard times. Some people just have their own way to handle it." He looks up and me with a little smile.

I look in his eyes and felt comfort. This at ease feeling. He didn't judge me. He just understood.

"Yeah." I felt a genuine smile form on my face. I needed this talk.