14

Jamil pov

That ungrateful fuck. He forgot about all the times I took care of him and Joaquin when mom was all doped up. I can't work like everyone else for money due because of the fact that I lead Cell block A&B.

So I get it the way I can. Selling drugs. Anything I can get my hands on. The opps help and so does my block in the infirmary. But my brother is fucking up the flow.

Yeah doc got our back cause it keeps his pockets full. But my boy telling me Jamar stopped him ain't sitting well with me. Dust got my bro on a leash. Talking bout he just want to mind his business and stay out of it. He should've Minded his business and stayed out of it. Fuck.

"Jamar lets go?" The opp takes me to the telephone booth. I dial the number.

"Hello?" Every time I hear my family, it makes me want to change.

"Hey baby."

"Hey. I miss you."

"You know I miss you too."

"No you don't. I don't even know why you calling me. You're not tryna change."

"I'm trying."

"Yeah okay. How's your brother?"

"Fuck him."

"Leave that baby alone. He just tryna do his time."

"Yeah yeah. Lemme talk to my baby."

"Heyy Dad."

"Hey baby. I miss you. How's school?"

"I miss you too. It's good." I really do want to change. I miss my family. My wife and 8 year old. These conjugal visits aren't enough with my wife.. I want to be with her like we used to be. I'm gonna get out and be with my family again but I've gotta change.

*Joaquin's pov*

I hate it here. I hate it at my moms house. There's always random people over here. All they do is shoot themselves up with stuff that gets them to act like zombies for days.

Why wouldn't brothers do this to me? I have no one. No one. Like I feel like my back is against the wall. Why do I have to be born in the messed up family?

I was bold enough to ask her why she didn't tell us Jamil was locked up and she laughed.
"How do you know?" She asked.

"Jamar told me." She laughed harder.

"They both in there now?" She paused to breath "and you gonna be next." How could she tell her own flesh and blood that? "Your cracker ass father left me cause I was black. Jamil left and got that girl pregnant. Jamar just doing what the men in the family do best. Leave."

How am I suppose to process this information? I'm an uncle. I have a niece. I have a family that's not the disappointment that stands in front of me.

How do I find them?