IV: Waiting For This Moment

A/N: Chapter IV of 1-900- Richonne

I'm the first to arrive at the store on 1st Avenue at 9 am that brisk Monday morning. I stood under the awning watching the rain-soaked ground. There's something about that water, that reservoir so deep, that feels cozy even in this early fall.

Soon, I'm joined by another woman, and then a man and then two more women. I'm sure more will be arriving soon, but since these are open interviews and people have until noon, I'd imagine the rest of them will arrive long after I am gone. About fifteen minutes pass before the store manager Alden McAuliffe arrives. Maggie described him to me the day before, so I knew exactly who to look for.

I have the feeling Maggie told him about me because he gave me a slight nod and warm smile as he opened the doors to the shop.

I take in the smell of fresh paint on the walls and varnish on the hardwood floors. The counters are onyx granite with an alabaster stone backsplash and plenty of shelves for coffee cups. The accent lighting provided a warm and inviting air. The coffee shop was very chic, with a large cozy settee in the center of the room, I could picture a large group gathering for a chat. Along the walls are plenty of tables, providing room for reading or listen to CD players. Unlike Milton's place, this shop had no TV mounted on the wall, which I prefer. To me, the sound of some relaxing music sets the atmosphere apart from the TV and jukebox sounds of the bar scene.

"Good morning everyone, my name is Alden McAuliffe, I'm the manager for this store and the sister location on Pike Street," the shorter man called out to the small group, "if you could all please fill out these applications, and place them in my folder here when you are finished; I will get the shop running."

He pointed towards a table that had a stack of applications on it and several pens. I took a seat at the bar, where his folder is placed and quickly filled out the application. Someone had walked into the shop, but I didn't bother looking up to see who it was, I was certain, it was just another applicant. My main focus was trying to think of another reference besides Maggie and Milton.

Why do they always want you to have three?

Alden had powered on all the equipment, the Automatic Drip Coffee Maker, a High-Quality Espresso Machine, an Industrial Coffee Grinder...From the cupboards and refrigerators below, he pulled out the various syrups, powders, creamer flavors, and milk and set them on the counter by the machines.

He was ready and so was I.

"Who'd like to go first?" He asked scanning the group of applicants who've now gathered at the bar stools with me.

"I'm ready," I said with absolutely no hesitation. I stood to my feet and removed my jacket, placing it on the bar stool.

"Great!" He answered back while grabbing a large coffee cup from the shelf, "I have room for one more back here, who'd like to join us."

The room was dead silent. I'd already made my way around the bar with my application in hand. For a moment, Alden and I just stood there staring at the people behind the bar, it was kind of awkward.

I guess this crowd didn't know that there would be an actual test.

"Are you wanting us to make the coffee?"

A woman asked Alden, she looked puzzled, which confirmed my notion.

"The job posting states that you must have basic barista knowledge." Alden brought a coffee cup to his hand and grinned cheekily, "surely you can make a simple cup of coffee."