Metamorphosis- Part 3

Sam was out doing whatever it is he was doing while you, Dean, and Travis were making the weapons used to kill the monster. It wasn't fair since he hadn't turned yet, but you kept your mouth shut. Travis seemed like the type of guy you didn't want to get into an argument with.

"So, fire, huh?" Dean asked as he constructed his weapon.

"It's the only way I found to kill these bastards; deep-fry 'em."

"Well, that's gonna be... horrible," Dean scoffed.

"Is that what you did to Jack's dad?" you asked. All Travis gave you in response was a single nod of his head. Looking at Dean, you sighed but went straight back to work. Suddenly, the door opened and Sam came walking in with papers in hand.

"Not wasting any time, are you?"

"None to waste. The guy hulks out, we won't be finding bodies, just remains."

"What if he doesn't hulk out?" the younger brother asked, sitting on the closest bed. "I did a little homework. Uh, I've been checking out the lore on Rugarus."

"What? My 30 years of experience not good enough for you?" Travis asked as if it offended him.

"What? No. No, I-I-I just wanted to be prepared. I mean, not that you didn't," Sam tried to save himself, and luckily his brother swooped in.

"Sam loves research. He does. He keeps it under his mattress right next to his KY. It's a sickness," he smirked as he looked at his brother who just rolled his eyes.

"Look, everything you said checked out, of course, but I found a couple of interesting stories about people who have this Rugaru gene or whatever. See, they start to turn, but they never take the final step."

"Really?" you asked, looking up from your work.

"See, if they never eat human flesh, they don't fully transform."

"So, what? Go vegan, stay human?"

"Basically. Or in this case, eat a lot of raw meat, just not... you know," Sam shrugged. Looking over at Dean, you saw him a smile a bit, and just for a moment, you saw the old Sam shine through this new demon-killing exterior.

"Good on you for the due diligence, Sam," Travis said, getting up and walking over to the sink to pour himself more coffee. "But those are fairy tales. Fact is, every Rugaru I ever saw or heard of took that bite."

"Okay, well, that doesn't mean that Jack will," Sam argued. Both you and Dean watched from the table to see what would happen.

"So, what do we do? Sit and hope and wait for a body count?"

"No, we talk to him. Explain what's happening. That way he can fight it."

"Fight it?" Travis laughed. "Are you kidding me? You ever been really hungry? I mean, haven't-eaten-in-days hungry?"

Both you and Dean stared at Travis because you knew exactly what this felt like. It's the reason why Sam always got food to eat. You and Dean sacrificed your needs to make Sam happy.

"Yeah," Dean answered.

"Right then. So, somebody slaps a big, juicy sirloin in front of you, you walking away?" Travis challenged Sam. "That's what we are to him now, meat on legs. I'm sorry. I'm sure he's a stand-up guy, but it's pure basic instinct. Everything in nature's gotta eat. You think he can stop himself 'cause he's nice?"

"I don't know," Sam said in a stern voice. "But we're not gonna kill him unless he does something to get killed for." Sam took a few deep breathes before waking out of the room. He slammed the door behind him, making Travis look at you and Dean.