Chapter 62: Shadows In Atlas

*Third Person POV*

"General, he's arrived."

General Ironwood turned to the soldier who was standing by the door, and nodded. He folded up the paper he was writing on and put it into an envelope, handing it to the soldier.

"See to it that this gets to General Copperpine," He ordered, "It's very important it gets to him as soon as possible."

"Yes sir."

The soldier put the letter in his pocket, and marched out of the office. Ironwood let out a deep breath, and prepared to walk outside. He was going to talk to Dr.Brian about what happened at the research base. All of their data had been wiped from their severs, and he was intent on finding out why. Ironwood knew about Y/n Gremory and his power, having gone toe to toe with the boy back during Torchwick's prison break.

But ever since Beacon had fallen, he felt like there was a bullseye on his back. He felt like someone was always aiming a gun at him, no matter where he was.

He stepped out of his office, taking long, confident strides. The confidence was completely fake, but he was able to keep up the act. Eventually, he reached a second office, where Dr.Brian was waiting. As he walked inside, Dr.Brian greeted him with a handshake.

"Doctor," Ironwood greeted, "I hope you have good news."

"I wish," The Doctor commented, "I wish I was back home, definitely not in my current situation."

"I understand. Losing all of our data is... troubling."

The Doctor rubbed his eye, and sighed, "Our best guess is that the lab was broken into and our data was deleted. We have no idea though, as all our security cameras were shut down at the time."

"So, this was a planned attack," Ironwood observed, "Perhaps weeks or months in advance."

"Yeah, that's about all we got."

Ironwood walked over to the desk, where a bottle of whiskey was placed. He poured a glass and walked over to the window, looking out over the city. He took a slow sip of whiskey, and let out a "Hmm..."

His eyes were drawn towards a glint on top of a building, and his eyes went wide.

*BANG*

Rias' attention was drawn towards the window of the building above her, the Atlas Embassy. She caught sight of a highly recognizable body falling out of a blown-apart window, with a bullet hole spilling blood in his forehead.

"Oh my god!"

"Is that General Ironwood!?"

"Is he dead!?"

People around them began to panic, as she and her peerage began to move towards the body. They reached the edge of the crowd, where guards were already holding people back. Rias got a good look at the body, which seemed to be frozen in the pose it had been shot in. His mouth was wide open, and his eyes seemed to display shock. He was looking up, at a building far above them.

Rias turned her attention towards a large skyscraper above them, though she was unable to see the top.

A smoking rifle was still set up on the building, the barrel still warm from shooting. Smoke still poured from the barrel, and a hot shell was slowly cooling beside it.

There was no sign of the shooter, as if the gun had shot itself.

The only thing left, were shadows, leaping across the top of buildings.