Negotiation

Minjung sat on her bed looking out the window. Her Totoro blanket draped over her shoulders as she watched the city life. Mist covered the streets as the precipitation glittered the window. The calming yellow and red lights luminated the evening. The orange glow of the sun radiated the city.
     Minjung's rhythmic breathing steadied her mind. In the kitchen, porcelain plates chimed and small chatter lulled in the lively apartment. The rain whispered sweet greetings as the drops tapped the opaque window sill.
     The girl swayed towards her soft, balanced, mattress. Her legs remained suspended off the side of her bed. Starting from her toes, the girl let her muscles relax. Her body descended into the clouded pillows and closer to bliss. Her eyelids fluttered closed. The hum of the apartment slowly faded to peace.
Ten pairs of eyes peered into the dark room. The girl in bed laid, becoming a part of the Still Life next to the comforting bed and peaceful night life. The girl, although rhythmically breathing, breathed at an alarming rate. Faster breathing, faster heart beat. This was normal for the girl since Valentines Day. But was it normal?
     Hours later, the girl in the room jolted awake. She quickly sat up. Her hair became disheveled.  She frantically searched the room. Her body shook weakening her. Tears plunged down the girls face. She ran out of the room, straight to Minjoo.
Worry swept over all the girl's faces. Minjoo quickly stood from her seat and guided the younger back to the room. Once in the room Minjoo pulled the younger into an embrace. The happy llama had seen the latter's distraught face before. She had see it only when Minjung had lost her grandpa. The older pulled her phone from her pocket and presented it to Minjung.
The younger dialed her mother's number. Three rings, was all it took. "Minjoo? Good evening. Is something the matter?" She asked.
"U-umma!" Minjung cried.
"Minjung what happened?"
"I love you Umma."
"I love you too my baby. Now tell me what's wrong."
"It's nothing, I just wanted to hear your voice." Minjung smiled.
"Aww if you miss me then we are having a family gathering on Sunday. Do you want to come?"
"Ah I can't." Minjung sulked.
"It's okay. I know you get busy. Minjung it's getting late go to bed alright. I love you." Her mom soothed.
"It's only nine in the evening mom... but I love you too." Minjung hung up the phone and gave a sweet smile to the phone. She returned the device to Minjoo as the older patted her head.
With a nod from the ladder. Minjoo guided the younger to the bed. The older bundled up the younger and caressed her fluffy cheeks. She watched the younger girl go to sleep before standing and walking to the door. Just as it opened, eleven people fell through. They all gave a weary glance. "I think you should at least let her go out. Everyday I see her go to sleep earlier and earlier and it's like staying inside is sucking the life out of her. She literally just turned down her moms offer to meet with her family."
     "I see it too." Chaeyeon agreed. "She's not as cheerful. She's been hiding it."
     "Guys she broke the rules." Chaewon chimed. "She's grounded as a result."
     "Doesn't she fall asleep during study time?" Hitomi asked. "She falls asleep because she didn't go out in the morning for a walk."
     "But how doe..." Eunbi started.
     "She's one of those people who gets energized by walking and stretching. She can't do that in here." Yujin told.
     "Yeah just let her go out." Wonyoung whined. "I miss her little presents that she gives to everyone."
     "She can ask me or Chaeyeon to buy the materials." Eunbi reasoned.
     "Then that defeats the purpose of the secret." Hyewon revealed. "But now we know where she puts her goodies and I haven't seen anything in there since Valentines Day."
     "Guys are we forgetting that she brought boys into the dorm?" Sakura asked.
     "She's gay." Minjoo announced. Yena who was drinking water, spit out her drink. All the girls were dumbfounded.
     "Oh..." Eunbi exclaimed. "Then there wasn't anything to worry about when they were over? I'll let her go out but she's still grounded. I'm only lifting the no going out part."
"I'll get her!" Minjoo exclaimed. She ran into the room and slammed the door shut. "Hey Minjung!"
"What do you want Minjoo. You woke me up from my beauty sleep." Minjung groaned.
"Good news you are allowed to go out of the dorm now." Minjoo cheered. "But I told them you're gay."
"YOU DID WHAT!" Minjung screamed chasing Minjoo around the room.
"You can just tell them That you're straight after two months. That's the only reason why Eunbi is letting you go out." Minjoo explained.
"Can I love you and hate you at the same time?" Minjung laughed.
"Yes I do it all the time." Minjoo smiled hugging her best friend.
Bang bang bang! "You guys better not be making out in there!" Yena yelled.
"2 months. 2 months." Minjung breathed. "Hey do you want to come with me to the family gathering on Sunday?"
Minjoo had already pulled out her phone and dialed a familiar number. "Minjoo?"
"We pulled some strings, we can go to the gathering." Minjoo chimed.
"Really! That's great! I'll make Samgyeopsal for the two of you." Minjung's mother beamed. "But why are you calling me instead of Minjung?"
     "Eunbi Unnie took her phone." Minjung laughed. "And everyone is still awake."
     "Ah so no one else knows about her second phone?" Minjung's mom chuckled.
     "Nope. Goodnight eomeoni."
     "Goodnight Minjoo."
     Just as Minjoo hung up, she found a koala staring at her. "You know I haven't seen you use your other phone." Minjoo called.
     "I gave it to Eunbi." Minjung responded. Minjoo widened her eyes. "What? If I gave her my other phone than it means that I'm actually complying with my "sentence" and I could go on "parole""
     "Well thanks to me you can go out now." Minjoo smiled.
     "Aw thanks babe." Minjung cooed.
     "Guys stop flirting!" Yena shouted from the door.