Self Discovery

Minjung ran on the hot peach colored sand. She ran to the crashing waters where they bowed at her presence. "Hot sand, hot sand, hot sand. Aaahhhh! Cold water, cold water, cold water."

The girl heard a laugh after the wind whispered in her hair. She turned to find her brother clutching onto his stomach. Minjung rolled her eyes as he walked next to her. The water retreated as he came. She found herself glancing at the glistening water again.

The crest of the brownish-blue ocean rose to the siblings before folding over and crashing against the damp sand. It created whitewater as it battered the grains. The grains of sand stood their ground causing the waves to recoil upwards.

Minjung widened her eyes at the water. She pivoted on her left foot before running for the hills. Just as she evaded the water, Minjung tripped and fell. The water rushed to her side, to check her condition.

She dusted off her hands as droplets of water rolled down her elbow and legs. Minjung giggled to herself, kicking the water towards her brother. He did not run. The water drenched him after crashing on the shore. They pointed at each other laughing.

"Hey! Thing 1 and Thing 2 come help us set up the tent!" A voice yelled. Minjung turned her head to her older siblings. She trudged towards them in ripped blue shorts and a white muscle-tee with red Chloe sunglasses matching her hair.

The four siblings pitched the tent and propped beach chairs for themselves. Her oldest brother, Matthew, pulled out a self improvement book in the tent to read. Her sister, Melissa, placed a towel over her head after evening the sand to tan. Her other brother, Marcus, peeled off his shirt before running along the shore.

"Can I go to the pier?" Minjung asked. There was no answer. "Okay bye." The youngest held her shoes in her hand as she walked to the pier. She walked past a large dog digging a hole to lay in. "Aw cute doggo."

Minjung strolls along the pier exploring things to buy and eat. Her mouth watered when she walked past the restaurants on the Santa Monica Pier. The girl walked into a gift shop. Immediately, the mugs caught her eye. She picked up the white mug with with an M on it.

Nako
Hey! Just checking in. Thanks for the Bibimbap and Songpyun! How are you?

Minjung
Im great. Yeah it's no problem. I'm at the beach with my siblings.

Nako
Ok have fun!

Minjung
Wait... Nak...it's 4am in Korea. Go to sleep.

Nako
I couldn't sleep.

Minjung
Oh. Is it too hot? The couch is usually nice and cool.

Nako
No I just can't sleep. It's too hot under the blanket and too cold without it.

Minjung
I see. Um just sleep with half your body being covered by the blanket. Lay on your back and then roll your eyes back to the back of your head for about 20 seconds. After that, relax your muscles. Start with your face. Scrunch up your face and then relax. Do that with the rest of your body. Going all the way down to your toes. Also empty your head of all the thoughts.

Nako
So I'll be a potato?

Minjung
Yeah basically.

Five Minutes Later

Minjung
Hello?
Nako are you there?
Uh...goodnight. 😊