It's a Nightmare

The birds chirped peacefully in the park, and the morning dew slowly dripped onto ground. The sun casted a magical yellow glow as if the world was perfect.

But it wasn't.

At a closer inspection, the clear droplets turned red as it hit the ground. The smell of iron burned the air. The sky turned gray.

     Minjung looked around and took steps forward. Only stopping because she was knee high in a red liquid. To her left, a building had one light illuminated.

     Minjung blinked and the scene changed. She was inside. Her hands turned red. Stained with blood. The scarlet red trickled down both her arms. In her right hand, she held a bloodied knife. Across the room a puddle of blood formed.

     As Minjung approached it, she found a body. Torrents of the scarlet river gushed out of the wound in the girl's torso. Minjung gasped. The girl barely hung onto her life. She moved and wanted to stop the girl from bleeding out. Minjung couldn't see her face though. The girl's face blurred.

     Her hands sprang to life. Moving without her mind's authorization. She held the knife in both hand over the dying girl. In one fell swoop, plunged the knife into the girl's heart.

      The girl lay still. Her head fell to the ground facing Minjung. Her face was no longer blurry. Kim Minjoo.

     Minjung sat straight up in her futon that Sakura had brought. She looked at her arms. Untarnished. Her breath staggered as Minjung rubbed her temples.

     The girl threw the blankets off of herself and walked to the kitchen for some water or something. The stove light illuminated the room. It should be off.

     Minjung turned the corner to find Minjoo looking down at her cup of tea. Minjung walked past the girl and grabbed a bowl from the cabinet before heading to the freezer. She scooped the ice cream into her bowl and prepared herself to walk back into her room. She paused and contemplated whether to sit down at the table. She did. Minjung sat at the head of the table across from Minjoo.

     They sat quietly at the table. For a long while they didn't say anything. The two girls focused on their snack. The silence ate the girls from the inside.

     "Usually you go for hot chocolate." Minjung spoke.

     Minjoo jumped at the sound as it had been so quiet before. But she smiled. She herself was too stubborn to start conversing with her former friend again. But Minjung, Minjung had a forgiving heart and probably wasn't mad at Minjoo anymore. She probably still hurt though.

     "I- haven't fully appreciated the sweet and soothing chocolate drink since our trip to Jeju." Minjoo responded.

     "That was like two years ago."

     "Yeah I know I've had hot chocolate since then but that day was something else. We went to a foreigners cafe. It's cool to see the different ways or things that Americans celebrate."

     "Yeah it was Dr.Seuss day!" Minjung laughed.

     "Those were the worst eggs and ham I've ever had."

     "Oh come one it was just green eggs and ham. I've always wanted to try that ever since I was a kid. Plus they just added green food coloring it wasn't that bad."

     "Yeah not as bad as you spilling the hot chocolate when that Australian guy came over to give us the food." Minjoo laughed. "You probably had the hots for him."

     "I did not have the hots for him plus I have a small mouth and drank to fast so I spilled." Minjung pointed with her spoon.

      "Yeah you tell you're self that." Minjoo cooed.