Two bad boys, a baby, and me

Elise

Did you ever have that one class that made you wonder why you had to take it? That would be the family planning class we were all required to take. It was a requirement for graduation. I guess they wanted to make sure when we had kids that we had some idea of how to take care of them.

I planned on going to college, then getting married, followed by kids.

We all sat in class. The teacher paired us with a partner. Unfortunately, since we were an odd-numbered class, I ended up in a group with not just king dick himself but Damien. The weirdest part was both volunteered to be my partner. I have no idea why.

Once we were all partnered up, the teacher passed the baby dolls to us. Then came the instructions. The baby was electronic, so it was programmed to do things a real baby would do. It also had a chip that recorded our progress which the teacher could download into the computer. If we screwed this up, we failed the assignment.

I picked up the baby as it stared at me. I didn't know anything about babies, let alone even thought about one. It's not like I had a lot of experience around them.

"Christ, Elise. It won't bite," Rocco huffed.

"It's creepy," I responded.

Damien chuckled.

"Here, give her to me." He took the doll from me and cradled her. The doll started cooing. "See, it's all in the way you hold them." He started rocking it like it was an actual baby.

"Someone getting baby fever?" Damien teased him.

"You don't have to have baby fever to know how to take care of a baby." He handled the doll with care.

"Okay, class, you have one month to act like real parents. However you decide to do this is up to you but know each partner has to spend time with the baby and take care of it. If you don't, the entire group fails the assignment. Each doll has a camera installed to ensure each of you is doing your part. That way, you understand parenting is a partnership," the teacher explained.

I sat there and sighed. Great, I was going to fail this assignment completely.

********
Each of us picked a certain amount of days to have the baby. Rocco took the first week in half, while Damien took the second week in half, leaving me with the final time with the creepy doll. I didn't want to do this.

This also meant spending time together as if we were a real family. They traded off their weeks while splitting up my week with me. What's better than having family time with Rocco and Damien? I can see it now. Here, kid, have a beer.

On top of it, how the hell were they going to ride around on a bike with a baby? It's not like they equip bikes for car seats. Yep, we were going to fail this class.

*******
Well, I was wrong about the two blockheads. They acted like real parents taking care of the baby like it was second nature. Watching them at different times and together was so weird at how they were with this stupid doll.

They took this seriously, which was weird in itself. I'll chalk it up to being some bizarre dream.

Then came my time. Damien handed the creepy doll off to me as Rocco warned me about how to hold it. I think the universe just exploded.

I took the doll and had to deal with lugging it around as people gave me weird looks. Finally, I said, "Yes, my kid has two fathers. I have no idea who the father is." They all looked at me weirdly as I shook my head. Why do people have to make a big deal about this?

The only problem was this doll didn't know what she wanted. While she was with me, she cried a lot. I tried everything. Changing her, feeding her, rocking her, holding her, and nothing was helping. She kept crying, and I was losing my mind. Plus, I wasn't getting any sleep at night, making for long days and me forgetting the doll.