Prove it

Elise

I didn't know what to think after today.  I learned about Rocco's reputation, and he already admitted to being an asshole, which didn't help matters.  As Ramona and I walked home, I heard a familiar roar coming. We stopped as Rocco went down the street, stopping in front of us.

"Did you forget something?" He asked me.

"I didn't forget.  I just chose to ignore it." I earned an annoyed look from him.

"Excuse us." Ramona pulled me away from him. When we were out of earshot, she looked at me. "Are you crazy?"

"Not the last time I check. Why?"  

"Rocco Brandon told you he likes you, and you're still questioning it?"  She looked at me like I was insane.

"Ramona, I'm not going to fall at his feet like every girl. Who's to say he's even being genuine?  This all could be for show."

"Elise, I think if this were for show, he would act way different than he's acting.  What do you have to lose?" 

"That he has a bad reputation with girls and uses them like tissues. I'm done with this one. On to the next one." I pretended to discard a tissue

She sighed.

"I'm afraid if I even get close, it will all come crashing down."

It was true.  I know most girls would die at a chance to be with Rocco, but they also didn't have to worry about getting hurt.  I didn't want to be another conquest. I wanted it to mean more.

"Elise, listen, every girl doesn't want to get their heart broken, but if you don't take a chance, you may never know. Don't you want to know if he's being real about this?" 

I looked at her, then at Rocco sitting on his bike.

You take a chance with anyone, no matter who they are. I made the mistake of believing Evan and looked at how that turned out. To say I was a bit skittish about liking someone was an understatement.

I walked over to him. "If you're serious about this," I gestured between us, "then prove it. Until then, I'm fine with walking."  I turned and started walking home.

Ramona sighed as she caught up with me. I didn't want to like someone, then have it blow up in my face again. People might think I'm crazy, but I wasn't.

A few kisses don't prove anything. Actions always speak louder than words.

*********
Rocco

So, if Elise wants me to prove it, then fine, I'll prove it. She may think I'm not serious, but she's sadly mistaken.  I know what people think about me, and honestly, I didn't give a shit what they thought.

There has never been a girl I had ever wanted more than I did with Elise. I didn't know if it was her innocent quality or if she didn't take my shit, which made me like her.  She had this awkwardness yet had some weird-ass confidence about her I had never seen before.

Even when I kissed her, there was something about that kiss that was so different from other chicks.  I don't regret the kiss one bit.

Since she decided to be difficult, I decided to show her difficulty was futile. I drove until I pulled up to her house and parked. Then I got off my bike, sat on her porch, and waited for her.

Ten minutes later, she stopped when she saw me. She sighed before walking up to her porch.  Once she reached it, she stood in front of me with a look of uncertainty.

"You may have doubts, but I don't. You can give me every reason why this will never work, and I can give you every reason why it will." I stood up and faced her.

She looked at me with that quizzical look she always had when trying to figure things out.

"Elise, I meant what I said in that closet. I have never lied to you and have always been honest with you. I know I'm an asshole and can be a real dick, but you're the first girl I've met that won't take my shit."

She sighed as she walked past me and sat down on the steps of her porch.  "This whole idea of you and me scares me.  I'm afraid if I get close, then everything will blow up in my face. One douche proved how big of an asshole a guy can truly be."

I knew she was talking about Harris. He was the worst type of guy. Just because he played football and was a jock, he thought it gave him free rein to do whatever the hell he wanted without consequence.  He found out quickly that there are always consequences.

Even after what I did to him was nothing compared to what Elise's old man did to him.  No one saw him for a couple of weeks due to him recuperating.  I can't say it disappointed me not to see his smug face around. 

I took a seat next to her.  "I can't promise you there won't be any issues because, let's face it, you aren't the easiest chick to deal with."

She rolled her eyes at me as I smirked.

"What I can tell you is I would never make you do anything you don't want to do.  People think bad boys force people to do things they don't want to, but that's a lie. People do whatever the hell they want. We give them an easy way to say yes."

I could see the gears turning in her head by her expression.  The truth was Elise may be scared, but she was also intrigued.

"How about you live on the side of danger a bit and enjoy the ride?" I leaned into her. 

Her breathing hitched as I licked my lips slightly, wanting to kiss her. She closed her eyes as I leaned in and pressed my lips to hers, claiming her lips again. 

From her kiss, I knew one thing, she was all in.

********
Elise

I lay in bed as I thought about everything that had happened.  Just the thought of being with Rocco scared the hell out of me, but it also excited me. 

I didn't know what to think now, but I was so drawn to him.  I didn't want to fall too fast or too hard and break.  How do you recover from a broken heart when it happens?  I had no answer to it. I had never had a broken heart before.

Then I heard Ramona's words repeat in my head.  If I didn't take a chance and see what happened, would I miss out on the best thing that ever happened to me?  Sometimes we have to take a chance to find out.

Why did I feel this was my time to take a risk?  For once, I didn't have to be the good girl. I could just be me. For once, I will be a person who got accepted for mistakes because the other person made mistakes. I could be whoever I wanted to be.  For once, I could be happy.

I rolled over and drifted off to sleep. Tomorrow was a new day, and I had a feeling my life was about to take a turn.