Well, Christmas sucks

Elise

Christmas break arrived, and I wasn't in the mood to celebrate. Two whole weeks of looking at my walls. Oh, yay. At least I had school work to keep me busy. The teachers agreed to give me an extension after I begged them. Boy, I begged.

I gathered all my stuff and trudged home alone in the snow. I had to take breaks since my bag was so heavy, but I made it home. When I reached the front door, my dad met me.

"Why are you late?"

"Had to take breaks because my bag was heavy. Sorry, I won't do it again." I dragged my bag upstairs. I didn't need to add to my grounding anymore than I already did.

Once I got to my room, I set my bag down, pulled out a box under my bed, and opened it. I pulled out my mom's picture and stared at it. I wish I had gotten to know her. Maybe if she were still alive, I would be happy. I heard someone clear their throat as I quickly put the picture away and slid the box under the bed.

"Are you hungry?" Mom asked me.

I turned my head. "Uh, no. I need to get started on my homework."

"Oh, well, we were thinking of going tree shopping later. You want to come?" She gave me a soft smile.

"I can't. I'm grounded, but have fun."

She furrowed her brows. "Okay." Then she left the room.

Since dad is my biological father, what he says goes. It didn't matter if mom tried to supersede him. I didn't even bother to argue. His rule was law. Guess it doesn't matter. If you're not biological, your opinion doesn't matter.

I spent time on my homework while my parents went to buy a tree. They brought it home. Usually, we all decorate it together. This time my dad excluded me. At this point, they would be celebrating Christmas together while I was stuck in my room. I'm guessing dad would rather celebrate it with just mom. I was also not expecting anything, either. Why watch people open things, and you sit there?

During Christmas break, mom did her usual, bake cookies, play music, wrap gifts, and watch movies. I got to sit in my room while dad brought me a plate of food. He didn't say anything when he brought the plate in as I looked at him with hope. Each time my hope faded.

I finished all my missing assignments just in time for Christmas Eve. It didn't matter. People were coming over, and I had to stay in my room.

I sat on my bed and looked out the window as snow fell to the ground. I let out a sigh as people played outside while I was stuck in my prison. I wondered if mom was alive and if things would be different. Would I get to celebrate and enjoy the holidays? Would I be in the mess I'm in now? I didn't know.

I got up to use the bathroom and heard voices.

"Where's Elise?" Someone asked.

"Oh, she's staying with a family member," dad answered.

I stood there while tears started to escape. A family member? Is he lying to people? Why? I needed to know.

I came downstairs.

Someone asked, "I thought Elise was staying with family?"

Dad turned to me.

"No, I'm just an embarrassment to my father. Sorry, I disappointed you. Maybe I should have been with mom when she died," I said, shocking everyone as I turned and went back upstairs. I went into my room and closed and locked the door. I was done. This was the worst Christmas ever.

*******
Rocco

I arrived with my parents at Elise's house as Elise's mom yelled at her dad. "How could you do that?"