Review 1 @smalldosedlove

Book: Reflection of me
Author: smalldosedlove

REVIEW

1. First chapter blues

*  Summary / prologue - Summary is well written.

*  Intro to main character - The main character was introduced in the first chapter.

*  Intro to story - In the first chapter, there was an intro to  the main character's mother which I think was not necessary. The mother could come in from chapter two. The story line took shape too.

*  Intro to genre - Great intro into the genre of story which is LGBT (gay story).

2. Story Settings

*  Description - I needed to read more description of the environment especially the main character's room. Since most of  the scenes takes place in his house and room. Just a little description like color of the wall, pictures, wardrobe, is the room unkempt or neat, stuff like that.

*  Theme - The theme of the main character switching places with his twin brother was brilliant as it pushed the story forward.

*  Intrigue / Suspense factor - The theme of twin switching is intriguing, build suspense with it.

*  Relation to genre - The emotions depicted by the characters was good and maintained throughout the story. It related well with the genre.

*  Time setting - Time settings was clear enough in the story. To make it a little professional, you can write,

'On Friday morning, two days after we had our discussion....'

For example, instead of writing, 'Two days later'

Write,

'Two days later after the incident ...'

*  Character development - The characters are well developed. By chapter two we already know what's happening with the main character, that's a good point.

3. Story Tone

*  Grammar - There is no obvious grammatical errors. I noticed the use of 'I' was a bit much. You can rephrase your sentences and try to limit using 'I' in a paragraph. Since it is a first person pov, you don't really need to emphasize on it in each paragraph.

Example in chapter IV, the first paragraph can be rephrased to:

'Earlier on that Sunday morning, while walking hand in hand with Leo, there was a familiar atmosphere with everyone acting themselves but making me feel like an impostor.'

You will notice there is no reference to 'I' and readers will still know who is talking.

*  Dialogue - The dialogues was smooth sailing. Had no problems there.

*  Choice of words - Good. There's a balance in your diction.

*  Chapter flow - Good. The story flowed naturally throughout the  chapters.

*  Writing voice - Distinct and clear. Catchy and impressive.

4. Creativity

*  Plot development - Nice story plot. No dull chapters.

*  Writing style - Beautiful writing style. Maintain it through out the story to keep readers engaged. Give readers a hint of what's about to happen in a chapter by writing a short first paragraph about it.

5. Personal thoughts - Reflection of me, is a cool book. The title or book cover may not be catchy at first, but the content is great, which is a plus. It's only four chapters now and I can't wait for an update. I would recommend it because the concept is fresh for a boyxboy story, and if the writer makes a good intriguing plot, the story will turn out really good.

*  Overall - Nice work, giving it a 9 out 10, till I read the rest of the chapters!

#####