Review 33 @hannyfleur

Book: Tale of Monsters
Author: hannyfleur

REVIEW

1. First chapter blues

* Summary / prologue - I must say your prologue and summary are as scary and as thrilling as the book cover. Really good.

* Intro to main character - Chapter one literally delivered Miranda Shaw to the table. Absolutely powerfully constructed.

* Intro to story - What more can I say. Superb!

* Intro to genre - You see I'm a vampire adopted by a werewolf.
Did you know?

2. Story Settings

* Description - Description of places and locations was noted. But there was little or no description on the characters like Eric, Rei Salvador, Lucas, even Miranda. A little info on how they looked like at certain times and places will be great.

* Theme - We got some really dark theme going on in this story. Dark fantasy, werewolf and vampire etc.

* Intrigue / Suspense factor - This ominous yet exciting feeling that something is about to happen, whether it's something bad or good I'm not sure....

I'm not sure either. And I can't wait to find out.

* Relation to genre - The book is freaking related to the said genre.

* Time setting - It seemed our Miranda is ageless or something. Timing was straight up noted.

* Character development - Characters are highly developed. They should be because they live in the year 2020.

3. Story Tone

* Grammar - Grammar was so COLD... Highly developed paragraphing and almost no errors in punctuations.

* Dialogue - Dialogue is gripping. Each words in the characters dialogue have a meaning and they mean business when they say anything.

But you see dear readers,
it's one of my hobbies to pick up twigs on the ground... and turn them to swords..."

(Hehehe - Wanna know who said that? Read the book to find out.)

* Choice of words - Choice of words really fits the story.

* Chapter flow - The writer is totally messing with my head with the way the story flows from chapter to chapter, but it all makes sense at the end. The way each scene worked together with the flashbacks was really creative. I don't know how you did it but nice try writer. I see you...

* Writing voice - I hope you're not a vampire because you have a vampire writing voice. Strong and gripping.

4. Creativity

* Plot development - Your plotting creativity was good. The story plot was strongly developed with every action evolving around Miranda. Telling a vampire/werewolf story from a first person pov can make the story feel constricted since we are only getting to see what's happening only from Miranda's eyes.

It felt like I just got hold of Miranda Shaw's diary and reading through it.

But I think you did a good job writing that.

The chapters were she has flashbacks can be written in italics so that readers will know there is a shift in time. Example in chapter 2.

* Writing style - You have a strong writing style and very good in creating strong imagery with your words.

5. Personal thoughts - Having read through the chapters, I began to feel the title of the book, 'Tale of monsters' doesn't seem to be registering with the content of vampire /werewolf. Literally, vampire and werewolves are not 'monsters' in a way, but I don't know if you understand what I mean.

Since this is a 'story of love woven by thorns of tragedy and soft petals,' I would suggest a more catchy name for the book. Just think about it.
(it's a feeling though, not to take it too seriously.)

* Overall - This book is end game for all dark fantasy stories.

'Tale of monsters', 'thorns of tragedy', 'fangs of soft petal' or whatever name you choose to call your book is a full blown thriller.

Damn! You got a 10 in CAPITAL LETTERS!

#####