DVDs // Bucky Barnes

You took the recently done toast out of the toaster, keeping one in so it would burn, just like you liked it. You put the other on a plate and hurriedly put butter on it so it would melt. You filled the kettle and went back to her toast, popping it out and putting Nutella on it in a thick layer. The kettle finished boiling and you made black coffee, then warmed up milk in the microwave for hot chocolate. When you were finished with the breakfast, you brought it into the living room on a tray. James, the guy who lived with you because of your boss (Tony said that the guy needed somewhere to "lay low" - you had already learned not to question Tony and his weird requests, so now James lived with you and that was that), was sprawled across the low grey sofa, watching the television like it was the best thing he'd ever seen, changing the channel every few seconds to see as much as possible. He glanced at you, grinning.

   "I can't believe how many channels you've got." He said. You smiled and blew the steam off your drink before sipping.

   "You are so not ready to learn about DVDs, my friend."

   "DVDs? You mean the disk things?"

   "Yeah, the disk things. It's like having a really long TV show on it, and sometimes there are more than one of the same... I don't know, like, as a series."

   "Like with books?"

   "Yeah, like with books." He grinned proudly at you and picked up his coffee cup. It immediately shattered in his metal hand, shards of blue clay splintering and dark liquid splashing onto the laminate floor. James' face fell and you sucked in her breath, then giggled. James looked up at you, still looking scared and angry at himself, and you laughed properly, almost shrieking, holding your stomach and just laughing for over a minute until James smiled. You whooped weakly and laughed even harder, bending over so far you fell off the sofa altogether. You both stayed in the living room, laughing inexplicably at the coffee on the floor. Eventually, you wiped your streaming eyes and sat up, smiling at James.

   "Let's go buy DVDs."

~

   James was staring at you. Very, very obviously staring at you. You tugged down your maroon jumper and he watched the movement of your hands, you sneezed and he blessed you before you even opened your eyes, you looked out the tram window and he fleetingly glanced outside to try and see what exactly it was you were looking at before returning his gaze to you. You looked at him and winked slightly, then grinned when he blushed and looked down. 

   You stepped off the tram and into the bustling city centre, the scent of Chinese street food reminding you it was Chinese New Year (a celebration you had never bothered to remember the date of). James inhaled, nose and eyes drinking in everything. You smiled a little at his angelic expression, looking so blissful in the midst of all the bustle you took a photo on your phone before you could stop yourself. He looked at you, bewildered, and you giggled and took another. He blushed again and covered the wrong side of your phone in an attempt to cover the camera. You laughed again and gently took his wrist, then pulled his hand across so he could cover the camera properly. He grinned sheepishly and you took a picture through his fingers.

   "DVDs now, or you want to sample food first?" You asked, putting your phone back in the back pocket of your jeans. James tilted his head.

   "What do... most people do?"

   "Depends on what you mean by most people. I normally eat first so then I know how much I can spend on movies."

   "Let's eat." He grinned, then held out his arm for you to take. You bobbed a little curtsy, then slipped your hand into the crook of his arm, smiling up at him. He grinned back down at you and you lead him around the various stalls. You both got noodles, and you laughed at how awfully he used the given chopsticks, though you weren't actually much better. You stopped in front of one that was all over with jewellery and sighed enviously. They were pretty, sure, but you knew that'd look weird - just buying yourself a bracelet. James glanced at you, then went into the little tent, gently pulling you in with him. You looked around at the glittering gems and another small sigh escaped your lips. James sneaked another look at you, then pointed at a slim silver chain hung with a bright green dragon.

   "That's pretty." He stated. You smiled and nodded.

   "You're not wrong."

   "But I'm not right?"

   "No, no quite. It's not pretty. It's beautiful. Big difference." He laughed at you, then took it off the rack. He walked towards the little counter and you stopped him.

   "What're you doing?"

   "I'm buying it for you. Guys still do that on first dates, right?" The question stopped you in your tracks and he grinned at your surprised face, then paid and lead you back out of the stall, slipping it into his bag.

   "So where do we buy the... VDVs?" You giggled and rolled your eyes.

   "DVDs. They're in a lot of places, but I'm cheap. We're going to buy them second hand. Now come on, we need to binge them back home."

~

   "YES CHRIS HEMSWORTH, GET IT MY QUEEN! I ADORE YOU! SHOOT MORE BITCHES, SHOOT MORE BITCHES, SHOOT MORE BITCHES!" You screamed excitedly, bouncing up and down on the sofa and clapping in between your words. James looked torn between scared and delighted at your reaction to the movie you were watching. Safe to say, he almost fainted at all the DVDs he saw in the shop, and you practically had to drag him away from the shelves, promising you had a tonne at home and you'd buy all the ones you two had chosen. In the end, back at your place, you picked a movie you'd seen before but mostly illegally online because you could never find it in shops. James tilted his head and narrowed his eyes.

   "Is it just me or does that Chris guy look a lot like-"

   "Thor." You finished, smiling a little. He laughed at you, then reached into his pocket.

   "Here, turn around."

   "Why?"

   "I forgot about the necklace."

   "Oh, right," you turned on the sofa and watched the movie in the corner of your eye, feeling his cold hands on your neck when you swept your hair off it. The dragon hung heavy on your chest and you smiled at it, running your fingertips over the smooth gems, "You didn't have to do this you know."

   "Ah, don't worry about it. Okay, stand up, I wanna see it on you." You blushed a little and got off the sofa, tossing your hair over your shoulder. He smirked at you and you rolled your eyes, hands drifting upwards to touch it again.

   "Come see yourself." He said, then gently took you into the bathroom beside the kitchen. You smiled at the reflection - the necklace was nice on you.

   "I look... pretty."

   "No, you look beautiful. Big difference." James murmured into your ear, then gently kissed your cheek. You turned your head to where he stood to keep his mouth on your skin for as long as possible.

   "You're so dumb, James."

   "You love it. And by the way," he spun you around and softly placed his hands on your waist, "It's Bucky."

~~~~~

OOOHHH

IT'D BADDD

AND NONSENSICAL

and i could not help that chris hemsworth thing IT WAS WHAT I WANTED TO DO OKAY

and also, the bad times at the el royale is s o   g o o d

w a t c h   i t   p l e a s e

i was d i z z y with the plot twists

but it's so so so good

and i'm n e a r l y 500 reads for this - it's fuckin insane loves

viv x