Voicemail // Steve Rogers

"Hello, you've reached Ashli's voicemail, sorry if I missed your call or ignored it because I don't like you. Leave me a message, send me a text, write me a letter, whatever you gotta do." And the girl giggled, Steve's stomach flipping frantically when she did. He met her three weeks ago while out on his run (she was not out on a run, but on a hysterically-sobbing-the-entire-time walk. He almost admired her lack of fucks to give about people seeing her so publicly cry) and only just screwed up the courage to ask for her number, which she'd given him without hesitation and told him to call her when he could.

   "Uh, um, hey, Ashli, it's Steve, you know, the guy who you see sometimes when you go for walks in the morning. I'm just, uh, calling to see if you wanted to go and grab a coffee or something like that... uh, sorry, I'm not to good at this kinda thing, ah... Anyway, have a nice day, from Steve." He fumbled around ending the message, then very promptly slammed his head into the desk.

~

   "Is this... is it on? It is? Um, you have reached the voicemail... thing, of Steve Rogers, nice to, um, nice of you to call me. I'm really sorry I didn't get your call, I might be saving the world or whatever, but I should still be answering, so sorry about that, I will call you back as soon as I can. Um, leave me a message if you'd like to. Okay. That's all." Ashli smiled fondly despite herself, smoothing out her top with shaky hands, praying he'd get the message very soon. He was never one to keep his phone unattended for too long through fear someone important would call, not that she felt she fell into that category, though she wished desperately that she did.

   "Heya, Steve, it's Ashli, I was just wondering if you wanted to go and see this movie with me... it looks pretty cool, and it's set in World War 2, very you. Anyway, just, uh, call me back if you wanna, don't feel like you have to, and... just text me, actually. See you." She hung up and slowly breathed out. Less than a minute later, his contact flashed up on the screen.

~

   "Hi, whoever this may be, you've reached Ash, and she is delighted that you have! Feel free to leave a message or just call back in a little while, I don't mind. Much love!" She made a kiss noise and Steve's stomach flipped. Hearing her make that noise was not helping his serious nerves.

   "Hello, Ash, it's... it is Steve, here, leaving you a message. I was wondering if you'd, um, if you could meet me on the roof of my apartment block as soon as you can? I, um, well, I need to talk to you about something. Okay, uh, goodbye. From Steve." He hung up and collapsed very promptly onto the carpet, then got up and started on his way to the roof. He didn't care if he was up there all year, he just wanted to ask the question and get it over with so he could shut Bucky and Sam up about it.

~

   "This is the voicemail box of STEVE. ROGERS. Please leave a voicemail- isn't this a voicemail? Are they... Are they called voicemails? I don't know if-" Ash smiled, still glancing at the cakes in front of her.

   "Hey, Steeb, it's ya bitch, um, I don't know if you wanted chocolate or vanilla sponge, so I'm gonna buy vanilla because surely you need assistance in getting as vanilla as you are, and I'm pretty sure this is a reason. Also, please please please never ever answer my calls because your voicemail things are so fucking sweet. I'll be back in a half hour, baby, and then we'll ice it. Happy Half Birthday." She hung up and, proud of her reasoning that was not the same as Steve's for getting vanilla, carefully placed a vanilla sponge in her cart.

~

   "Hey, thanks for coming to my voicemail, it's a pleasure to have you here, be sure to... shut up, I'm trying to record this for the inbox thingy... STEEBEN CODGERS, no, oh my God, I can't-" Steve smiled at the voicemail message his girlfriend still hadn't bothered to change since he'd interrupted her in the middle of it. It was a little bit of a comfort, actually, hearing her soft voice giggle into the mic and then into his ear. He blushed and started to leave a message.

   "Hello, Ash! It's, uh, it's just me, Steve, just calling to tell you I love you a lot, and I'm really excited for when you come home. I'm going to order a takeout for you, and get pizza and everything, so please don't be too tired! Okay, I love you, bye, from Steve." And he hung up, very proud of his ability to leave a voicemail message like everyone else he knew.

~

   "This is Steeben's voicemail box, and he doesn't know I've done this, so please don't ever mention the fact his voicemail isn't technically introduced by him to him, like, ever. I'm his fiance, delighted to make your acquaintance, and when he calls you back, just ask if his dick is really over ten inches, cuz it is and it'll make him panic and he's so cute when he's panicking. Okay, leave your message." Ash cringed at the sound of her own voice and crossed her legs beneath herself.

   "Hola, Steeb. I'm alone at home right now and I know you're on a mission and it's important but... I can't sleep. And I'm really cold. I just kinda wish you were here, because you're like, the warmest person on the planet, I swear. I love you. Hope the mission goes well. Love you. Very much. A lot. Okay, sorry, I'm going. Love you. Love you. God, I can't sleep, fuck. Sorry, love you." Ash hung up and less than half an hour later, the bedroom window smashed and a tall, built man flew in, bruised leather-clad arms immediately wrapping the startled woman on the bed into the warmest embrace she could've ever wished for.

~

   "HEY! It's Ash soon-to-be-Rogers, if I've missed your call that's because I'M FUCKING GETTING MARRIED! THIS SHIT IS GODDAMN NUTS! I swear to God, my soon-to-be-husband is fucking adorable, and I adore him, and I love him so damn much, so if you ever see him, like, ever, just say that Ash really really loves him, especially when he wears sweats because his ass looks super good in them. I'll listen to your message after the ceremony! I'M GETTING MARRIED, YES!" Steve grinned at his fiance's voicemail introduction, straightening out his black blazer and tie for the millionth time.

   "Hey, Ash. I know you aren't going to hear this for a while, but I want you to just know how much I love you. It feels insane to me that I haven't already gotten you down the aisle, and that I've waited this long. I can't wait to see you in your dress. I know you'll look stunning, you always do. I really love you, doll. I'm so happy I get to spend my life with someone so amazing. I really don't deserve you. See you at the alter. Love, Steve."

~~~~~

hello i did this one a little differently, but i do quite like it

do you guys think it's okay?

i'm kinda into it

it's sorta sweet

i think this may be the first one of these i genuinely like

because i just love my steeben codgers

and it's made me feel all soft

anyway,

much love for my loves

viv x