Holiday // Bucky Barnes

"Y/n?" You heard Bucky's voice and sighed with relief, then blew your nose quickly before running into the living room. You were sick - you had no idea what kind of sick you even were: cough, cold, headache, minor vomiting, you could do it all! - but you couldn't let Bucky know. If he did, he wouldn't let you take him on his surprise, which you still had to surprise him with. If he knew you were sick, he wouldn't even let you leave your bedroom.

   As ever, you flung yourself at him and he caught you, twirling with you. That tradition had begun when you found out about his past, about the solider part of it in particular. He'd told you how he took out girls because he wanted to find The One - and he wanted to do what his friends did when they came home from service. They'd go home, and at the train stations they'd twirl their sweethearts extravagantly while he stood by, awkwardly waiting. Of course, after Steve got jacked, he just went straight home with Steve, but he always felt like he'd missed out. So now, whenever he came home after a mission like this, you did The Thing.

   He put you down gently and kiss you slow and hard, tilting you backwards. You knew his friends didn't do that kind of thing until they got married - he just loved doing it with you.

   "I missed you, doll." He murmured tenderly, keeping you pulled in a tight embrace. You could feel your throat start to tickle and you knew a hacking cough was building up. You threatened to kill yourself in your head if it happened.

   "I missed you too, soldier." You smiled softly back.

   "How were the two weeks?"

   "Lonely. But okay. How were yours?" The extended speech made your eyes smart with the simple effort of trying to keep your old-man cough at bay.

   "Same as yours."

   "Did you get hurt?"

   He took one hand off you to pull at the hem of his shirt, inching it up to reveal a thick, healing gash along his side. You sucked your breath in sharply and choked on the brewing cough. The second you got him away to shower before leaving you were going to just heave it all out, and it was going to be heavenly.

   "Well..." You said, pulling yourself away to lead him into the living room, "I have something that's gonna make you feel a little better." You kicked open the door with your foot, not wanting to miss the involuntary reaction from Bucky's already excited eyes, and then gestured loosely to what was behind you - two packed suitcases and tickets to Venice. Through 30-second phone calls throughout the fortnight, you could tell just how gruelling it all was for him, and how much he needed to relax. You'd called Steve to arrange an if-you-dare-even-talk-to-him-about-work-I-will-cut-off-all-your-hair-but-only-on-one-side holiday, and made the preparations yourself. You had boat rides, museums, art galleries, the works, all lined up for the month you planned to spend with him.

   You glanced back at him, where he was kneeling in front of the cases and holding the tickets.

   "Oh my God, y/n." He mumbled, then looked back at you. You leaned against the wall behind you (stupid unexpected head rush) and smiled hopefully, worried that his eyes were revealing exactly nothing.

   "I picked Venice because I know how much you liked it when you went for that mission. I just thought you deserved to see it properly."

   "How much was it?"

   "I made Tony pay. Pocket change."

   "And how long?"

   "A month, paid."

   "Why?"

   "Because I know you need to let loose after that mission, Buck, and I don't think the cabin's really good enough for-"